Cracked skimmer

Replace the skimmer box. It's not hard, just drain below the box n put the new one on.

I just finished hard plumbing and I think I put too much Teflon tape on the PVC adapter and tightened it too much. I did the plumbing Monday morning and just noticed the crack this morning. I'd like to get by the rest of the summer with just a repair and next spring I can replace the entire unit. Is it at risk for further cracking and posible failure?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yup, torqued it a bit too tight.

If it's just a temp fix you can cruise your local hardware store for water proofing putty that goes on the outside. I've seen it at home depot but I don't know how well it works.
Note, if you ask they'll probably tell you there's no such thing, I went to 3 stores locally and no one heard of it even though I knew it existed, then just a few weeks ago going thru the plumbing section of home depot - there it was, saw it by accident.

It may buy you some time.

1380ken said:
Even if you fix the crack it will probably leak at the threads. You could fix it with epoxy but I would also epoxy the threads on the fitting.

I should remove the Teflon on the threads first before putting epoxy on threads, right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If I had to repair that, I would use only mechanical means, as this kind of damage needs mechanical support anyway.

A couple hose clamps and a piece of suitable diameter hose pipe slipped over the damaged part would do the job in a semi - permanent way.

The clamps and hose pipe piece should be slipped over there without disturbing the damaged joint itself.

Skimmer_fix.jpg

Just my 2c.

asxetos said:
If I had to repair that, I would use only mechanical means, as this kind of damage needs mechanical support anyway.

A couple hose clamps and a piece of suitable diameter hose pipe slipped over the damaged part would do the job in a semi - permanent way.

The clamps and hose pipe piece should be slipped over there without disturbing the damaged joint itself.

Skimmer_fix.jpg

Just my 2c.
Great idea...I already used something called Water Weld from Homedepot.I will do that as insurance, thanks.

I spent $24.00 for our skimmer. I purchased it on eBay and that included the shipping. It is regular size and worked perfectly. It had the fittings and gaskets, etc.

Doesn't have a brand name on it, but seems durable and fit the hole exactly that was already in our pool. Our original skimmer that came with our pool (free) didn't have the skimmer door weir. The basket had cracked and wasn't catching most of the leaves etc. so decided to switch it out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.