cracked sand filter tank

lowboy01

May 30, 2010
After two failed attempts to repair a crack in the seam of my sand filter, I am turning to the pros! What I have is a plastic tank (150 lbs) sand filter with about a 3/8 split in the seam. I'v tried 2 part epoxy, and quick steel on both the inside and outside of the tank and both have failed within seconds of turning on the pump, both just peel (epoxy) and break (quick steel) off the plastic very easily like its not adhering to the plastic (yes i sanded it first). So... does any one have any idea of a way to fix this? I am leaning towards fiberglass, but not too sure if it will stick to the plastic ? what i really need is something that chemically bounds too the plastic, if such a products exists. Any help is greatly appreciated...

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
It's a pressure vessel so not only are you going to have a problem finding something that'll hold you really shouldn't try and repair it. I hate to bear that news but you should just replace it.

X-PertPool

TFP Expert
In The Industry
Jun 12, 2009
Exeter, PA
Plastaid might work. Fiberglass is cheaper for the amount. I'd just get a new filter though it's not worth having to worry about the patch breaking when your not home

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
My filter expands and contracts when the pump is turned on and off. I assume all but the stainless steel ones do as well. That makes it tough for any kind of patch to hold up.

solarboy

Aug 1, 2010
Europe
Try sticking a piece of PVC on the inside with a Modified Silane Polymer. We call them pool plasters :-D The plastic will spread the load to the surrounding area of the tank and hold together your glue.

lowboy01

May 30, 2010
wow, i haven't thought about the leaving the pump on while no ones home part... i guess that changes things a bit. i don't think i need any thing else to worry about while away so i guess its time to go shopping for a new sand filter :cry: thank you everyone for the help, you guys just saved me a big headache in the future i think

dmanb2b

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 4, 2009
NY
Should you decide to go with a new filter, I would strongly suggest upgrading to a 250lb sand filter. it will cut down on backwashing and improve your flow rate :goodjob:

lowboy01

May 30, 2010
dmanb2b said:
Should you decide to go with a new filter, I would strongly suggest upgrading to a 250lb sand filter. it will cut down on backwashing and improve your flow rate :goodjob:
I'm more than likely going to do that but I'm also contemplating going with a cartridge filter instead of sand ? I'm still in the research stage so i am definitely open to opinions at this point...

Other Threads of Interest