Cracked Heat Exchanger

CapeBuffalo

Apr 22, 2022
Redding, CA
Moved from here. Cracked Heat Exchanger in Heat Pump

I have a Jandy JE 3000T heat pump installed in 2013 for a 20,000 gal in ground gunite pool. It has functioned beautifully until last August when it began leaking from the bottom of the condenser (heat exchanger) housing on the side near the compressor. It was leaking excessively. The condenser is an Aquacal unit which appears to be made of black PVC with what appears to be bolted to a similar base with a gasket seal.
I had the unit inspected by a “ certified Jandy “tech recently. He confirmed that it was leaking from the bottom of the unit but it is difficult to see the exact area of the leak, he found that the bolts attaching the unit to the base had backed out and were loose. These were tightened but the leak persisted. He said that it couldn’t be repaired and replacement would run to $ 5-6000! Eventually he offered a replacement with a Pentair for $8000.
Not having the money but having a brain, I checked the bolts myself and found that they had not been fully tightened. I tightened ALL the bolts in the proper pattern, not knowing the proper torque I did it in two sessions so as not to strip them. The leak has stopped. I haven’t tested it with the heater running because I am unsure of the reassembly of the fan and electrical s that were done to get access. Maybe tomorrow.
Perhaps the heat and vibration may cause the leak to open up again, the gasket may be damaged, but maybe it is fixed.
Does anybody know of this occurring with Aquacal condensers over time? There is a lot of vibration in these units and we have used it quite a bit.
I would appreciate anybody’s input on this situation and I will update as i continue to test it
I do have photos and videos that I will post once I learn how to post.
If this is a fix , perhaps Aquacal and Jandy should issue a maintenance bulletin to periodically check these bolts and publish the torque for these bolts.

Welcome to TFP.

This is the first time I have seen this problem mentioned here.

It is interesting to learn that the Jandy JE 3000T heat pump is a white labeled Aquacal.

Keep us informed. You have dug into the box more then anyone here I think.

Looking at photos of the condenser, I can see that it appears to be bolted onto a base section which would seem to need a gasket/O-ring in order to seal ( as part of the water jacket ) . Refer to photos here R0578000 - Condenser JE 3000 - Zodiac . On the 360 degree view I note a drain plug in the shell for winterizing. There seem to be open "bolt holes" on the top that align with the bolted holes at the bottom, so I would guess that the top is somehow factory sealed. In the parts list there is no listing for a gasket/O-ring for the condenser https://www.jandy.com/-/media/zodiac/global/downloads/h/h0408600.pdf , only for the complete condenser. If the bolts were loose, I could see where a leak would develop. As long as any debris/minerals from the water are not compromising the seal, tightening may solve the problem. If not you could try to see if the gasket/O-ring is available. Can't really tell about clearances, but replacing gasket/O-ring may require refrigerant recovery to raise condenser shell enough to install it if the compressor discharge lines need to be cut. Be careful about the torque on the bolts as the shell/base appears to be plastic and over torquing may cause the plastic to crack or the bolts to come loose.

Thank you Swamprat, so far the bolt tightening has been successful with water running through the unit for two weeks , three hours a day= no leaks!
I haven’t re-assembled the unit so I don’t know if the vibration will cause a rapid loosening of the bolts or other leaking but hopefully we will test that this week.
It sure beats a big repair or replace bill if this works.
You are absolutely right about the torque on the bolts, perhaps Aqua-Cal will have specs , I will look into this asap. I have been as gentle as possible and tightened in sequence and in three sessions. A crack would likely be the end.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.