Crack in Skimmer

richmgreen

LifeTime Supporter
May 26, 2010
160
Central Connecticut
I have a crack in my skimmer base .. about 2" from the inlet hole. It doesn't appear that it is leaking from this area .. Yet, but is there something (epoxy, etc) I can fill it in with after I drain the skimmer for the winter.?
 

kplaster

Bronze Supporter
Jan 24, 2010
620
Randleman,NC
sand place down,need to rough up the surface.Use a 2 part epoxy&let it cure..I've done this several time's..Once with a old clorinator that cracked&also with a pump strainer basket..no problem's..Got a couple more year's of use....
 

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
31,540
Sebring, Florida
If I'm not mistaken, the "mighty putty" is an epoxy and will work fine. Bondo from HD will work as well but might be a little soupy.
 

pengi

New member
May 17, 2010
4
We have used Plasti Dip inside and out at the crack area on our older skimmer. Painted it on and let it cure (24 hrs.). We also have repaired our vinyl solar panel leaks with this product.
 

bk406

Well-known member
Dec 3, 2009
2,690
Central Massachusetts
duraleigh said:
If I'm not mistaken, the "mighty putty" is an epoxy and will work fine. Bondo from HD will work as well but might be a little soupy.
Yes, the putty is a lot easier to use. It's 2 part epoxy, but it is much easier to apply.
 

kplaster

Bronze Supporter
Jan 24, 2010
620
Randleman,NC
richmgreen said:
Any particular 2 part epoxy to recommend?
any of 2 part liquid kit's that you mix together..I believe the last I bought was at walmart..I don't think the puddy will work..You want something liquid that you can get down in the crack!!!
 

bk406

Well-known member
Dec 3, 2009
2,690
Central Massachusetts
kplaster said:
I don't think the puddy will work..You want something liquid that you can get down in the crack!!!
Actually, the epoxy putty works like a charm on cracks in plastic. It doesnt have to get down in the crack to work. You just put the putty over the crack and smooth it down over the edges. Liquid will work too just fine, but there is nothng wrong with the putty either. I fixed a crack in my light niche with it and it was/is fine.
 

kplaster

Bronze Supporter
Jan 24, 2010
620
Randleman,NC
bk406 said:
kplaster said:
I don't think the puddy will work..You want something liquid that you can get down in the crack!!!
Actually, the epoxy putty works like a charm on cracks in plastic. It doesnt have to get down in the crack to work. You just put the putty over the crack and smooth it down over the edges. Liquid will work too just fine, but there is nothng wrong with the putty either. I fixed a crack in my light niche with it and it was/is fine.
I will have to try that the next time!!
 
Thread starter Other Threads of Interest Forum Replies Date
J Everything Else 5
moore887 Pumps, Filters, and Plumbing 13
D Pumps, Filters, and Plumbing 10

Other Threads of Interest