Jul 22, 2022
San Antonio, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Howdy,

First time poster here and long time lurker! I have already learned so much by reading and from the other posters here, this is such a great site!

We are just finishing up a new gunite pool build in hill country area. We got plaster today and began filling!

Our PB had initially installed the wrong color stone on spa surround so they removed it and replaced it. When they installed the correct color the plaster was already finished on the sides of the concrete decking. They had to nail in 1 x 4s to support the stone while it set. I believe this caused the concrete plaster to crack a little.

Just wanted y’all’s opinion on this. I don’t believe this is structural and probably can just be repaired but we are nervous as this our first pool.

Here are some pics but the worst crack is where the concrete decking meets the gunite for spa (gunite appears fine to me)DA401604-4971-4BC9-A5C3-B8CCDD9277B4.jpeg
53A001C0-4330-4390-BC14-3926EB34FEB9.jpeg0B7FC1E4-E790-4531-9BD8-E7CC2BA1D1F6.jpeg

Hard to judge by pics if the cracks are deeper than that thick skim coat, but needs further investigating. Guessing the two cracks are from opposing side wall corners of the spa? That might suggest more than nail damage to coat.

I should have mentioned with the above pictures that is 1 crack. I was trying to investigate a little more and pulled a small piece of skim coat off with my hand.

I took a better picture now with the daylight.
AC27315A-3D69-4BA1-9A26-D79BA5E38C92.jpeg

On the far corner of the spa a small piece of skim coat came off and you can see gunite underneath.
5956DDB4-98B4-43ED-A1D8-6D43A775719B.jpeg

What would you suggest to investigate further? I’m thinking if I call PB I will be told it’s fine and skim coat crew will take care of it.

Given the thickness of that skim, it would not be unreasonable that large flake-offs could happen from nailing into. It's basically a cold joint to the underlying foundation slab. If it's all relegated to the skim, let them clean out all loose pieces and cover again. Hopefully, they plan to paint that all over with some good masonry outdoor coating which will seal up the cement and hide blemishes made. On mine, I just used a good stucco paint in white.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.