Covered pools and balancing chemicals

padilla23

In The Industry
Aug 13, 2020
Nashville
I’ve had a few salt pools that stay covered when they aren’t being used and they have tested insanely high in chlorine and ph for the longest time. I’ve tried searching for an answer, but haven’t found any. I keep the chlorine generation percentage very low and it continues to stay high. Anyone have a clue on how to keep these chemicals balanced?

bmoreswim

Mod Squad
Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2012
Central MD
I was away from our pool for 12 days this summer and it was autocovered. My SWG was set to produce .3 PPM per day of FC. My FC still rose from 12 to 13.5 over that time period (I started high in case I went too low on the setting). Reduced chlorine consumption is more than I would have expected. I’ve also seen it was not an anomaly as the previous years I’ve been ratcheting down the settings for summer vacations and eventually took the risk and lowered it to these settings and found a more or less equilibrium point. Our pH also rose from 7.7 to about 8.2 over the same period. You can see my Pool Math logs from late late June this year for details. Click my profile picture to view logs. Temps were 90-100 every day.