Cover sinks into pool every year

apastuszak

Jul 11, 2010
I've had my house for 9 years and every single year, after the pool thaws in the spring, the pool cover sinks into the pool. I can never find a hole anywhere and replacing the cover every year is getting old...

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
Why not buy a mess of PVC pipe and some fittings and build a little pyramid that sits in the pool and makes the cover drain? I've never lived anywhere that freezes up in the winter, so there may be some reason not to; if so, I'm sure someone will point out the drawbacks.

bk406

Dec 3, 2009
Central Massachusetts
Have you ever used an air pillow? They are supposed to work.

Not sure about the PVC idea. I'm not sure I would want something like that sitting on a vinyl liner all winter. It might be ok, might not.

X-PertPool

TFP Expert
In The Industry
Jun 12, 2009
Exeter, PA
there is an ag cover out there that has a drain in the middle that the water funnels to and then it drains out a pipe that connects to the return line.

apastuszak

Jul 11, 2010
X-PertPool said:
Do you pump any water off the cover?
I pump water off the cover, but since the cover is below the water level, I end up pumping out half the pool to get the cover out.

Andy

apastuszak

Jul 11, 2010
bk406 said:
Have you ever used an air pillow? They are supposed to work.

Not sure about the PVC idea. I'm not sure I would want something like that sitting on a vinyl liner all winter. It might be ok, might not.
Two years ago I bought 2 air pillows. After the pool thawed, the cover sank and I found out both air pillows had popped.

apastuszak

Jul 11, 2010
My local pool store claimed that I need to pump the water off the cover after every rain storm. I asked him if that was the case, what the **** was I supposed to do with all the snow on the cover? He didn't know what to say.