cover pool when it rains?

robzkombi

May 31, 2019
southern californina
Looking for some guidance as this is our first winter with our 16x32 agp and I'm wondering if I need to put a cover on when it rains?

I live in southern California where we don't get to much rain. The forecast calls for a couple of days of light to moderate rain this week with high temps next week. Input is appreciated.

Do you cover your pool when it rains in the summer?

Why do you think the pool should be covered?

lol, no we didn't. Since "socal winter" is on it's way here, I was wondering if I should put a cover over our pool. I had a cover when the Santa Ana's (high winds from the north) rolled in but then uncovered it to resume splash fun.
So I'm guessing it's a no for covering our pool.

Last time I checked the rainwater here (southeast Texas), the ph was 6.9, so I see rainwater as not just helping change out old water, but also saving muriatic acid. Just check your chemistry after significant rain, as you may need to add chlorine and possibly other stuff as well, if it rained enough.

Last time I checked the rainwater here (southeast Texas), the ph was 6.9, so I see rainwater as not just helping change out old water, but also saving muriatic acid. Just check your chemistry after significant rain, as you may need to add chlorine and possibly other stuff as well, if it rained enough.
Well the moderate rain turned out to be an all out downpour but the sky's are starting to turn blue once again.
About the chemistry, our pool is salt so I'll check the levels in a few days and see how much more I might need to add. Thank you!

Unless you lose water to overflow, you won't need to worry about salt leaving the pool. Just let evaporation take the water back down to normal levels and your salt will be back where it started. By the end of November, your water will probably be too cold to run the SWG anyways. My system shuts down at 59-60 degrees and I'm at 63 now. In my area, my biggest concern is rising calcium levels from fill water, so any calcium-free water I can get from the rain is a welcome addition.

Reactions: robzkombi
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.