Cover for irregularly shaped pool

IMason

Sep 23, 2016
Clayton/CA
We just finished putting in our pool and we are so excited about getting in it (when it's warm!). We live in a very warm part of California and in attempts to reduce my gas bill, I would like to get a solar cover. There are 2 confounding factors: my pool is very irregularly shaped and we can get a lot of wind in the late afternoon/evening.

I have heard of people getting a large cover and cutting it to the right shape and size. This seems reasonable although I think could be unwieldly to remove and put on. I have also heard of ring shaped covers and perhaps a few of these could do the job.

I have a "sports" type pool where it is deeper in the middle than on the edges and I also have 2 shelves on both of the long ends of the pool so I'm thinking I only really need to cover the most central portion.

In terms of the wind, I think I need to figure out a way to weigh the cover down (perhaps with weights hanging from the underside of the cover?).

Any suggestions would be most helpful.

TIA!!
View attachment 59291View attachment 59292View attachment 59293

What a pretty pool with so many neat details and features! NICE!

I am no help with the cover as we do not cover ours. We worry about animal entrapment. Someone tried the floating circles and found they did not do much as far a helping with the heat and they go tired of taking them in and out. :(

Kim:kim:

Take a look at this device...then decide if you want to buy it OR DIY with PVC.

If you want to try to DIY, search the forum for a thread that tells you how. I did DIY variant "in-pool" for winter coverage under a dome. Downside s that constant "in pool" rolling will tear the grommet/attachment to Pole...but I'm a daily user AND due to winter, all the unrolling is by force on a line strung across pool. So normal circumstance might improve longevity ;)

https://www.amazon.com/Solar-Roller-EXTENDS-COVER-LIFE/dp/B00IV3QKQG

With those winds you are talking about, evaporation will really bleed the heat from your pool. Good luck with whatever you decide! We were religious with solar covers on our last pool and found the clear ones were the most palatable visually. We never had a problem with wind blowing them once they were in the water.

We also have an irregularly shaped pool and one side is a raised deck with a spa and spillover. We bought an oversized solar cover and cut it to the shape of the pool. To make it easier to handle, we cut in half and purchased two of the cover rollers mentioned in previous posts. So, to take off the cover, we just roll up each half. Makes the rolled up cover a lot easier to manage.

During the summer we don't use any pool cover at all. Our pool gets direct sun all day with no shade. The pool temp often approaches 90°. We only use the cover over the winter (late October through early April). We've never had a problem with the cover being blown off or even folded over. We also have a solar cover on the 8 foot spa. It stays in place all winter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My 8mil solar cover, cut into two halves, doesn't move at all in winds up to 50mph from the north or the south so far. It is cut to fit an inch or two inside the coping, flat on the water. We have lots of trees, a partial raised beam and retaining walls that might help with the wind. But, when the cover is folded over in the pool the wind blows it a lot sometimes.

Yes, the liquid covers are alcohol based and can slow heat loss through evaporwtion. BUT, it creates a one molecule thick layer of alcohol on the water and it is easily blown to one side in the slightest breeze which renders is ineffective.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.