Cmurra6745

Apr 13, 2021
Mass
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
so 2 years ago bought a house with a 16x32 inground with sand filter one skimmer and one bwottom drain. I run it 50/50 while opening. with the depth pools about 22k gallons . last year i opened and just winged it ... this year trying to get it clearer faster.

opened it started filtration brushed whole pool and shocked .. probably too much .. 6 lbs of granular shock .... tested levels after 12 hours overnight running pump

i have a small test kit(HTH 1273 6 way test kit) which i used and ..

PH is off the charts haha prob >8.5.. water was bright pink and normal range is light colored
Chlroine was was over top reading .. which is bright yellow ... my chlorine test water was orange
total alk is 70

i also put in 12 lbs baking soda and have floater and disperser in skimmer with 2 3" tabs each ... just threw in robot this am .. pool is a light green hue from VERY dark green when cover was removed ... OBVIOULSY folks who closed it know NOTHING !!

my main question is where should i go from here ? clarifier ? more or less chlorine? ph reducer? or leave it ?

Thanks in advance im still new to this but someday ill be opening a clear pool i hope

Last edited:
Welcome back to TFP! :wave:

First of all you need a good test kit -- either our TF-100 or Taylor K2006C, both of which I link in my signature. Then perform a full set of tests in this format

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

And post your results. We'll be better able to help you knowing that. Meanwhile, add 5 ppm liquid chlorine to your pool daily. Calculate this using PoolMath.

Finally, click on your avatar on the right side of the window, then click on "Signature". Fill that out with information about your pool so we can help you better. List the type of pool, inground or above ground, gallons or liters, equipment, testing method, and so on. Look at my Sig for a sample.

We'll get your pool straightened out and sparkling blue in no time!

Welcome back to TFP! :wave:

First of all you need a good test kit -- either our TF-100 or Taylor K2006C, both of which I link in my signature. Then perform a full set of tests in this format

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

And post your results. We'll be better able to help you knowing that. Meanwhile, add 5 ppm liquid chlorine to your pool daily. Calculate this using PoolMath.

Finally, click on your avatar on the right side of the window, then click on "Signature". Fill that out with information about your pool so we can help you better. List the type of pool, inground or above ground, gallons or liters, equipment, testing method, and so on. Look at my Sig for a sample.

We'll get your pool straightened out and sparkling blue in no time!
so add more chlorine daily ? even though chlorine reading right now is high enough to be off the chart for the kit i have ? right now those kits are out of my price range but ill buy one soon .

Where are you located?

6lb of an average 65% Cal-Hypo would increase the FC on your pool by 21ppm.
If you have a green swamp a lot of that was consumed killing algae.

A 6 way test (same with Taylor’s OTO test) will only read up to 5ppm of chlorine and that is an issue because FC above 10 makes pH readings unreliable.

It is paramount that you know you CYA to manage your pool. What you spend on a TF-100 you can save on unnecessary chemicals.

Reactions: Newdude and MITBeta
Let your FC drift down until it's less than 5, then add enough bring it back up to 5 ppm.

You can buy the fas/dpd chlorine test and the CC reagent on their own. Here's the kit on Amazon

Taylor K1515A FAS/DPD test kit for FC: https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-K-1515-FAS-DPD-Chlorine-75oz/dp/B003V4YZEO/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1AHXLNWYHSTEQ&keywords=Fas/dpd+test+kit&qid=1652445074&sprefix=fas/dpd+test+kit,aps,303&sr=8-1
ok ill grab that kit so i can atleast accurately test for FC. i know the kit i have was pretty accurate for PH and Alk last year and i got it clear but knowing FC will def help me along .. i will report back with numbers so far i know this

FC- Unknown but very high off the chart on my test kit
CC- ?
PH- >8
TA- 70
CH- will report back
CYA- ? test it out of liquid for CYA test will need new kit to test . im assuming its low due to winter melt

Where are you located?

6lb of an average 65% Cal-Hypo would increase the FC on your pool by 21ppm.
If you have a green swamp a lot of that was consumed killing algae.

A 6 way test (same with Taylor’s OTO test) will only read up to 5ppm of chlorine and that is an issue because FC above 10 makes pH readings unreliable.

It is paramount that you know you CYA to manage your pool. What you spend on a TF-100 you can save on unnecessary chemicals.
i am in MA. and yes i assume that the algea ate alot up. I am only 12 hours into opening and can post some pictures shortly. i will grab the FC test kit so i can read my FC better and then the better kit as well. Yes i agree on CYA !

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is 2 pics 12 hours apart one at 7pm one at 7 am.. Some progress untill the sun comes out and eats all the FC ;)View attachment 410023View attachment 410024
It is improving:)

In MA your water is probably still below 60F, so your chlorine tends to be more stable. Sunlight and nasties are still going to eat some, but daily loss is not going to be as much as in summer.

CYA does drop slowly every month. Every pool is different and the amount of CYA a pool loses during winter cannot be guessed. My pool lost only 10ppm (plus refill) over winter. Some pools lose 30-50ppm. To many factor can impact your CYA.

BTW the difference between the K-2006 and the K-2006C is the size of each reagent bottle. Same tests. The TF-100 uses repackaged Taylor reagents what makes it much more affordable.

so a tf-100 is better due to bigger reagent bottle sizes?
Bigger reagent bottles AND lower cost (When compared to a K-2006C it still has slightly bigger bottles of stuff that you are going to use more).

BTW, according to Taylor reagents have a shelf live of one year, but with proper storage many here are able to use them for a bit longer than that.

Reactions: Cmurra6745
how we are looking yesterday 3 days after opening. Yes i need to paint fence and coping .. just not looking forward to it . bought house 2 years ago and been slowly making it nicer . glad i did with the current market thumbnail_IMG_6555.jpg

how we are looking yesterday 3 days after opening View attachment 411215
That glare looks like cloudiness to me… you gonna have to post more pictures to prove wrong :p

Jokes aside. In the picture it does look a little cloudy, but it could be just the glare. Other than that is is looking nice.

I see you have one of those aeration devices on a return. How do you like it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.