Counting the cost rambling and having my pool cover replaced

coolinthepool

May 8, 2019
Fishers, IN
Well, my quick fix for my pool cover that detached from the reel was short-lived—the rest of the pool cover was also at end of life. This past month, it shredded along the tracks. I knew the costs of being a pool owner were coming, but I guess I had hoped I'd get through the first year without any big hits. I guess the high annual budget amounts I saw thrown out by people weren't lofty after all. I got a quote from a local company to replace the pool cover for $3k + tax. That seems about in line with what I was expecting. I was this close to taking on the replacement myself, since I found the replacement cover online for about $1800. But I have a massive fence project (750 ft) I'm working on that is already going to take all summer. So, this is just one of those times that saving the money isn't doable.

Anyway, back to overall money spent for a moment, after the pool cover, I'll be at about $6k in equipment and utilities (pool heater, cover, propane to heat this spring) and services (pool opening, which I won't be paying for again) so far this year. Not to mention chemicals. So for anyone that's pondering buying a home with a pool and may be counting the costs—just know that with bells and whistles comes a definite cost. Of course, it'd be much cheaper if I didn't have a heater or an auto-cover, but I have three babies, not having a cover isn't an option for my wife, and I'm fine with that. The heater is definitely a luxury, but it got us an extra six weeks of swim time this spring. :)

Onto the actual pool cover, does anyone have any suggestions for replacing other parts while I'm at it that are simple to replace? I believe the slider and pulleys are recommended to replace. I need to contact the pool company and see if those replacements are included in the cost or not.

Reactions: bigtrh24
They say when it rains it pours. Hang in there man. At some point you'll probably get a few good years to lessen the blow of the bad one to start.

Reactions: coolinthepool
Just popping in to say hi from Brownsburg!
We’ve had 3 older pools prior to this one we just built in Indiana, so I understand the pinch in the pocketbook!

Just popping in to say hi from Brownsburg!
We’ve had 3 older pools prior to this one we just built in Indiana, so I understand the pinch in the pocketbook!
Hey, neighbor! Turns out, I have family in the pool business in southern Indianapolis. My mom let me know her first cousin owned a company. I had never met him. Anyway, he gave me a good deal and installed it in less than a week! That being said, I’ve upped my pool budget quite a bit in preparation for the next need. ?

Reactions: JodieM
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.