Could use some help

Jun 1, 2012
Hey guys, I opened my pool two weeks ago. This was the first time opening by myself since purchasing my house last april. Its a 22,000 gal inground pool but was built back in '84 with vinyl lining I'm in Indiana and we have had record heat lately so the pool was a bit green upon opening. I got it blue quickly but cant seem to get rid of the cloudy water and it keeps eating my chlorine. I can make out the floor of the shallow end but just abotu nothing in the deep end. I have tried everything the pool store has told me to do along the way but no real dramatic improvement but very costly. I even changed all the sand in my filter this past weekend. I tested my water 3 days ago and these were my results:

Saturation idx: .8
TC: .6
FC: .6
PH: 7.9
Tot Alk: 254
Adj Alk: 254
Tot Hardness: 245

I then added a gallon on muratic acid split between two nights and shocked my pool a few hours after the first treatment of acid. I will soon get my water tested again but do not see visable differences since that. Any idea whats going on or what I should do before I continue to take the pool stores advice?

dbrown224 said:
I then added a gallon on muratic acid split between two nights and shocked my pool a few hours after the first treatment of acid. I will soon get my water tested again but do not see visable differences since that. Any idea whats going on or what I should do before I continue to take the pool stores advice?

Your version of "shocking the pool" is likely very different than ours. The first thing I can see, if you can believe the pool store results, is that there is far too little chlorine in your pool. Take a look at Pool School, and specifically How to Shock Your Pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.