Costco above ground pool set up question. (First timer)

emejia317

May 16, 2020
Visalia
Hi everyone-

i am a first timer planning the installation/set up of an above the ground pool (Costco) Bestway. It’s the 22’ x 12’ x 4’.

my ground is going to get leveled this coming week, but I have some questions that I hope you guys can help me with:

1-Once my ground is leveled; do I need to use sand under the pool? (Intex and Bestway appear to not recommend it). Can I use padding (Gorilla pad)between the ground and pool or do you guys feel I still need to use sand?

2-When it comes to keeping the pool clean, is there a specific maintenance kit/routine you guys use or recommend?

3- General tips and guidance if any of you have this poo?

Thanks in advance,

Eduardo

Hi, welcome to TFP! You don't use sand as a base for pole frame pools. So people do, but you shouldn't. You can use a Gorilla pad, or you can use sheets of pink insulating foam board taped together and cut to fit under the pool
We recommend using an FAS/DPD based test kit such as the TF 100 or the Taylor K2006 to test your water and determine chemical dosages for your pool. Doing your own testing puts you in control of your pool and not at the mercy of a pool store's "free testing" which is actually a sales tool for them. We recommend using liquid chlorine to sanitize the pool.
If you find the pool's pump and filter are not sufficient to help keep the pool clean you can use a standard above ground pool pump and filter with some modifications.

Any other info?

thanks for the reply. ZEA3

A question here. My closest wall outlet is like 40 feet away, what would be the best approach to use before I can get an outlet installed close?

1- Disconnect the extension cord from the pump while we are swimming?

2- What extension cord would be recommended?

3- How do I protect the extension cord as best as I can?

Thanks everyone!

Use an all weather extension cord rated for higher amperage than the pump. ALWAYS unplug it while swimming or cleaning the pool. In fact, it would be best to dose the pool in the evening and let the pump run over night, and unplug it in the morning. If the cord will be in a high traffic area or in danger from the lawnmower run it through a length of pvc pipe to protect it. I would not bury an extension cord. Have an electrician install a power outlet near the pool pump. Most people go ahead and get a bank of 2 or 3 outlets installed so they can play music or plug in a robotic pool cleaner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.