Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Anyone develop a cost to run your pool spreadsheet? Pool store (pucks plus weekly shock plus algecide/clarifier vs TFP (liquid chlorine/SWCG & Muriatic acid)? I’m a finance guy and TFP advocate. I’m envisioning this to be a different kind of “pool math” page. The end result is that not only is the TFP method better for your health and less time consuming, it is also cheaper.

I’ll volunteer to get the model started in Excel and let the community comment on it. Once we get it in a good spot, I can hand to off to make it a web app.

Good idea? Bad idea? Already exists?

Reactions: Andrew_D
Cost to run my pool for a 6 month season is:
  • About $170 in salt
  • $5/week in acid = $130
  • 20 lbs of stabilizer @ $2.25/lbs = $45
What is not easily accounted for is the water bill for fill water and evaporation. A few Benjamins. And electrical cost for running the pump and SWG. Another few Benjamins. And a few more for the NG heater.

I track my expenses as notes in my PM log more so I can look back at historical prices.

I don't need a spreadsheet to get anymore precise then this.

Last edited:
Reactions: mguzzy
Water cost and electrical costs would be the toughest to track. Gas is relatively easy to figure out if you know the size of your heater, your $/therm (or $/gallon) and keep good track of run times.

I’ve always thought it would be a neat idea if pool builders put a power meter at a pool sub panel ... then I checked out the price of industrial power meters (even the old analog ones) and then decided it wasn’t such a neat idea .... 😂

Wow Allen.. that's a lot of salt...

Here's my typical season
4 40# bags per season @~$7 ea=$28
1 Gallon MA/mo @~$6x6mos =$36
25lbs of stabilizer @ $30 bux, lasts me two years=$15
New reagents ~$15
Water ~A Benjamin or two
Electric~A Benjamin or two
Gas to heat the Spa~Multi Benjamins
Off season Chlorine ~$50 bux estimate
Wine/Beer: Many Benjamins... I drink them by the pool so I consider it a pool chemical.

Reactions: wireform
Wow Allen.. that's a lot of salt...

My pool is almost 2X yours. It gets drained down every season for closing and takes about 10 bags of salt at startup. Then another 4 bags or so during the season to maintain the salt level. I could buy the salt cheaper but pay for the local convenience.

The comments about salt for SWG interest me. I'm wondering if that would be cheaper than feeding liquid chlorine every day or 2, but I drain each winter, so wondered about startup costs.

Andrew

I'm wondering if that would be cheaper than feeding liquid chlorine every day or 2,

Depends what you value your time at and if you account for the time to hunt down liquid chlorine supplies and stock up.

The lack of hassle using a SWG is priceless. Once a season top off the salt and then add a bag or two when the salt level gets low. Salt does not degrade in storage the way liquid chlorine does.

Great ideas everyone! I’m thinking of just the cost of chemicals (or creating chemicals-SWCG). Cost of water due to evaporation and pump run times would be the same for both. This is more the cost comparison between methods, so costs for items that would be shared between methods could be ignored.

Can I assume from the number of responses that this is worth pursuing? Should I create a first draft?

I think the core of what you want to analyze in comparing chlorine sources was covered in...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have spent $20 in stabilizer $12 in salt & $60 in liquid chlorine (started slam but had to pause it then restart so it cost me more ) $73 testing supplies so $165 so far for pool & hot tub. May need 1 more bag of salt before its over this season. I use a negligible amount of acid. Been on the same bottle for over 2 years.

The comments about salt for SWG interest me. I'm wondering if that would be cheaper than feeding liquid chlorine every day or 2, but I drain each winter, so wondered about startup costs.

Andrew
Well, YEAHuH! The day to day costs of an SWG is WAAY cheaper that liquid cl.. but you pay the chlorine costs up front when you purchase an SWG is one way people look at it. For most the equivalent cost in chlorine for what you pay for the SWG is recouped in 3-5 years. after that its... get ready for it... FREE CHLORINE!

Reactions: Mdragger88
Well, YEAHuH! The day to day costs of an SWG is WAAY cheaper that liquid cl.. but you pay the chlorine costs up front when you purchase an SWG is one way people look at it. For most the equivalent cost in chlorine for what you pay for the SWG is recouped in 3-5 years. after that its... get ready for it... FREE CHLORINE!

Yes, but up here pools turn into icecubes and break stuff for 6 months of the year. That means draining every fall and refilling every spring. So I would be starting with zero salt each spring. So I need to look into the SWCG cost, and annual replacement of salt cost. I only found TFP part way through this summer, so not looking to change it now, but looking at it for next year.

Andrew

Well don't let us rambling wombats discourage you from your concept. I'm intrigued what the calculator would be comparing.. I just keep a running tally of my expenses for no other reason that to be able to compare it with the other yahoo's on this site in the ether. So post up what you have and you never know.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.