Cost to run heater

BPool18

Jun 14, 2018
Cincinnati
2nd year home owner w/pool.
Heater info in attached images.

Last year, opened late (memorial day weekend), and never really used the heater. Used it a couple days in late September ( worked fine).

I was just curious on average cost to run these. I know it’s all dependent on your rate per kw charge, outside temperature, your pool water temperature, and the temperature setting you select.
Because it takes a day or two to warm the pool up, I feel like it’s the kind of thing where If you are going to use it, you just leave it on until you don’t need it any more.

I have no idea if, on average, running this thing for a month straight in May (live in SW OH near Cincinnati for an idea of my Climate), would create a HUGE electric bill or not?

Attachments

gonfishin

Gold Supporter
Jun 13, 2017
Rochester, MN
If I'm doing the math right ........

When the compressor is running (water is being heated), you'll be using about 7.062 kW (230*32.1).

If you end up heating water for 24 hours/day, and electricity costs 12.5 cents per kWh, it will cost about $22 per day.

spatel95

May 10, 2018
Canton, GA
Since that's a heat pump, it will be most effective when it is warmer outside. I heated my pool in April from 62 to 82. I had a solar blanket and only ran the heat pump 7-8 hours during warm hours (11-7). After that, I only have to run it for about two hours per day to maintain it and it only costs about $1 a day. You might have to run it a bit longer since I live in the south. But using a blanket will reduce your cost drastically.

Reactions: heygreene

BPool18

Jun 14, 2018
Cincinnati
If I'm doing the math right ........

When the compressor is running (water is being heated), you'll be using about 7.062 kW (230*32.1).
Yikes. That’s crazy and not good! I may just wait and use Memorial Day weekend as a target date to use it then..gives me plenty of time to SLAM it and stabilize. Not worth $22 a day!