Cost to resurface gunite pool

gazerbeam

May 20, 2020
Simsbury, CT
Hi All - we are considering purchase of a FL home with a 20K gal gunite pool. The pool has pretty bad staining and I'm sure it needs draining and resurfacing.

Appreciate any guesstimates to keep in my head. $5K, $10K, etc.

(I know the real answer is it depends...)

TYIA

As cheap as $6000 and as costly as $16,000. Depends on local supply and demand as well as product type. Simple white plaster is cheap. Water polished hydrazzo plaster with aggregate is top shelf. Colorants and additives (glass beads, abalone shell, etc) add to the price.

Also, surface prep matters. Many outfits will try to sell you on a cheap “skim coat” - they rough up the existing plaster surface and slap on a thin coat of new plaster. But the real deal is to have the existing plaster completely chipped out down to the gunite shell and the new plaster installed. Chip out is all labor and hauling away debris. So it adds to the price.

Reactions: gazerbeam
I wouldn’t worry about staining at first. Get the pool up and running and properly sanitized. Fix any equipment issues that might crop up. Stains are aesthetic and can be dealt with at a later date. As with all home buys, you will likely find lots of highly expensive stuff that the seller did a good of hiding their true condition, ie, stuffs gonna break quickly. Leave pool renovations to the bottom of the priority list.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.