May 22, 2022
DFW
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just wanted to confirm a few things on my pool. Here's the setup:
  • The spa heater was eliminated by previous owner.
  • There is a spillover from spa to pool.
  • If the spa drain is open and the system is off, the spa level will lower a foot or so.
Ignore blue die - killing weeds.
PXL_20220920_124347164.jpg
PXL_20220920_124336937 (1).jpg

Here's what I've figured out:
1. Pool drain
2. Pool skimmer 1
3. Pool skimmer 2
4. Spa drain

A. Spa return
B. Pool returns (booster connected here, not used because I have robot)
C. Spa jets

For daily pool skimming, I use what you see: Spa drain is off (4) and spa spills into pool when pump is running. All pool drains open (1-3). For returns, pool and spa are open (A&B). Jets are off (C). Booster pump is always off.

If I was using spa (and had a heater), I would reverse drains and only open spa (4) and only return via jets (C).

Sound right?

Reactions: Lake Placid
Spa Mode is when you have suction from the spa drain (#4) and return to the spa (either A or C).
So you could turn the return valve between A & B to close off B and only flow to A to have heated (if you install a heater) water without jets.
Otherwise, turn the valve at top to open the spa jets (C).

Thanks for marking all the plumbing lines as it makes it easier to help.

Reactions: david_
Ah, not just me. I keep it closed 99% of the time, but was wondering if I should try to find a balance with the valves so that during daily operation, the spa drain can be slightly open?

What happens when you turn valve to close flow to A (spa return) and only open to B (pool return)? Leave the suction side so it only has suction from the pool (skimmers or main drain). This would be standard Pool Mode.

What happens when you turn valve to close flow to A (spa return) and only open to B (pool return)? Leave the suction side so it only has suction from the pool (skimmers or main drain). This would be standard Pool Mode.
Sorry for late reply. To answer your question, I can't - the valve doesn't go that way. If water is going to pool, water will be to spa too, which makes sense to me. You don't want water just sitting in the spa.
David,

Notice the check valve right at your "A Arrow"... This is check valve is there to prevent the spa from draining down when the pump is off..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks! Never noticed that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.