Correct Light Bulb

Dec 11, 2017
Pa
Hi guys! So last year we replaced our pool light bulb but it didn't last very long and was doing weird stuff like staying on for a while then going out, then we would turn the switch off and then on again like 15 min later and it would work for a while then go out........repeat. Anyway, finally got the thing out today and it is totally blown (which we knew). I was half wondering if we maybe got the wrong size although I don't think so because the year before we changed it too and took that previous years bulb with us to the store when replacing it last year. I'm thinking the weird off and on light issue was because the bulb was junk. Especially since we replaced it with the same size as the year before. AND, when we took the fixture out it was totally dry inside and everything seemed fine.

Anyway, it has me iffy on a replacement. But the fixture itself did not have a model number or anything on it that I could tell. It did give a number but when I look it up I can't seem to find anything. Mind you this pool and fixture is about 15 years old so, doesn't surprise me that I can't find info. But anyway, the size we had in there was a 500 Watt 120 volt. Based on this pic, would you say that is correct? Thanks! I see they have a little chart on the fixture but the number on the fixture to the left does NOT match any of those numbers. Strange.

Oh and, I am conteplating getting one of those LED bulbs that change different colors. Ya know, one of the ones that screw in like this bulb we had in before. We are NOT interested in replacing the entire niche/fixture to set it up the other way. Can that even be done.......getting one of those multi-colored LED bulbs? If so, do you have any recommendations? Thanks!!

The number under the H to the left is probably just the id number of the product label sticker.

500 watt might be a little high. I think 300 watt are fairly common. Maybe the 500 W was too big and overheating and thermally turning off?

I have seen that INYO pools has started selling a color LED light bulb that looks a little cheaper than the Colorsplash that I installed.

Just realize that a color LED bulb is not going to be anywhere near as bright as a 500W halogen.

LOL Sorry. Since I'm clueless when it comes to the pool and it's parts, I wanted to include all the pics I had that had any sort of number(s) on it because I am unsure which one I need to use in order to figure out what bulb is recommended. SORRY!

But at this point I think I just want to replace the regular ol' halogen. But above you didn't sound too sure as to whether I should get a 500 or 300 or even 400. I want to avoid guessing if I can and get the correct size in hopes of avoiding the issue we had last year. Sadly, nothing on the dang thing seems to say for sure either. Thanks!

Yeah, the installers never mark those stickers :hammer:

Well, I am certain that a 300W bulb would be safe, but beyond that I have no idea :D

It is fairly likely that the fixture could be the same for any of those models (I am sure the lens is probably the same), and the model it just indicating that a different bulb is installed.

Could still call INYO still and see if they have any insight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.