Copper to SWG instructions?

bdleib

Jun 15, 2010
York, PA
Hello all, I stumbled on this forum by accident and I am glad I did!

My question is does anyone have a step by step procedure for moving from a Caribbean Clear (copper ion) system to a SWG? I am thinking about getting a 30K gallon CompuPool SWG.

After reading quite a bit about copper systems here, I have to admit that I feel disappointed in myself that I tried making this system work for 3 years with some success. While I never had the problem with anybody's hair turning green, I do have trouble keeping the water sparkling clear. I use quite a bit of liquid bleach from WalMart and Acid from HomeDepot.

At lunchtime today I took a walk thru WalMart and looked at the Intex AG SWG for $199. While it will not work for me, I saw the "new" copper ionizer that is plumbed into the unit. The box reads something like this: "with copper in the water, the demand for chlorine is reduced by 70%". This is essentially what the representative told me from Caribbean Clear. The copper and silver in the water reduce the need for bleach. The bleach is only added to "oxidize" the water and to burn up body oils and such. So, my second question is: Is there something to this, that perhaps I did not discover at TFP???? Your thoughts?

Here are some quotes from my Caribbean Clear manual:
Copper is one of the most effective algecides available.
Oxidation...just as a glass is clear but doesn't sparkle like a diamond, water can be clear without sparkling. Disolved oxygen provides the sparkle.....(they say to add bleach to make the water sparkle).

Metal ions are not EPA approved sanitizers for pool water. Only three things are, these being chlorine, bromine, and PMHB (Baquacil). Metals kill pathogens too slowly (if at all) to be effective.

Metals stain pool surfaces. Although copper does have some algaestatic properties, a properly chlorinated pool will never get algae.

We have found here that by experience, there are really no reasons to use anything that puts metals in the water. These things are typically very expensive and their risks are far outweighed by any perceived benefit that they might provide.

ETA: SWCGs are very nice to have. I would highly recommend going that route if you can and are inclined to.

I have read about everyone's thoughts on copper ionizers, so I really need some help with a step-by-step procedure to get out the copper and put in the SWG. I can not find a procedure in this forum. Can anybody help?

The first step is to find out what your current copper level is. Hopefully you will be able to get a pool store to test the copper level for you, or you may need to buy a copper test kit. The simplest way to get rid of copper is to replace water. How much water you need to replace depends on what your copper level is now.

Thanks for the response Jason. My copper level is between .15 and .20ppm. Do I really need to do anything with my copper levels? The Intex SWG at WallyMart has a copper ionizer and SWG. Sunshine Pool Products also offers a product with both (http://www.sunshinepool.com/ac1.html). Can't I just let my levels decrease naturally? I also put a call into a CompuPool rep and he said their SWG can run with an ionizer.

I really value the advise given here, so I again ask your thoughts......

Thanks!

BTW, you aren't missing anything regarding the copper on the Intex units being sold now. We have a number of people here who have purchased the new Intex unit and have simply disconnected the copper component of the unit -our recommendation is to try and find an Intex unit that was manufactured before the copper component was added or disconnect it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.