Copper in water, advice needed

Pat60

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 11, 2016
PA
I recently needed to added water from our well a few times in the last 2 weeks, so I took water to be tested At pool store. They said no iron ( which I was worried worried about )but that I have 2.8 ppm of Copper. They said I need to add a sequestering agent to keep the cooper in solution. I only use liquid chlorine to sanitize my pool daily .
My readings
pH 7.8
TC 4.0
TA 60
CYA 50
I want to a 1.5 gallons of chlorine o get to the high reading for a party tomorrow, but I am concerned the addition will pull the Cu out of solution. Should I add the sequestering stuff , or the chlorine and in what order. Thanks in advance.
Edit to add...the water looks TFP perfect!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I have read the above, one of the reason I was surprised with the 2.8 ppm when it states it is rarely from ground water. Since I haven’t put anything in the water,but acid and chlorine , I guess I have to think it’s from the heater. I have also read that copper could make the water cloudy , depending on other readings. My water is clear.

Would it be alright to add the liquid chlorine to 8.0ppm for the party, or would this cause green water ?

No predicting how the water will react to raising the chlorine level.

Also blonde hair may turn green with copper in the water.

Adding 8 ppm of chlorine will not turn the water green but, even worse, it may cause the copper to precipitate and leave a bad stain on your pool surface.

2.8 PPM is really VERY high and I never trust pool stores, anyway. I would get your water tested at another place rather than assume 2.8 is correct.

I would say it is really important to get iron and copper retested at another location. Our total aversion to pool store testing has a lot of validity if you read through these 13 years of post!!

So, if the tests confirm the first test, I would add the sequestrant first and then add the chlorine in increments.....maybe something like 2 ppm pre-party, 2 ppm during party and then judge the water quality at the end of the party and add 2 ppm more if you think it needs it.

@duraleigh , Thank you! Thank You!
I was thinking the same thing, especially after rereading my pool results from store one which said I had NO TA. ( I tested at 60).
Pool store# 2 NO copper ,and TA of 90. All other parameters matched my testing. I will believe store # 2, beside the heater, there would be no other way for copper to be in pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.