Copper in water, advice needed

Pat60

Bronze Supporter
Jun 11, 2016
PA
I recently needed to added water from our well a few times in the last 2 weeks, so I took water to be tested At pool store. They said no iron ( which I was worried worried about )but that I have 2.8 ppm of Copper. They said I need to add a sequestering agent to keep the cooper in solution. I only use liquid chlorine to sanitize my pool daily .
My readings
pH 7.8
TC 4.0
TA 60
CYA 50
I want to a 1.5 gallons of chlorine o get to the high reading for a party tomorrow, but I am concerned the addition will pull the Cu out of solution. Should I add the sequestering stuff , or the chlorine and in what order. Thanks in advance.
Edit to add...the water looks TFP perfect!

Last edited by a moderator:

Pat60

Bronze Supporter
Jun 11, 2016
PA
Yes, I have read the above, one of the reason I was surprised with the 2.8 ppm when it states it is rarely from ground water. Since I haven’t put anything in the water,but acid and chlorine , I guess I have to think it’s from the heater. I have also read that copper could make the water cloudy , depending on other readings. My water is clear.

Would it be alright to add the liquid chlorine to 8.0ppm for the party, or would this cause green water ?

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
No predicting how the water will react to raising the chlorine level.

Also blonde hair may turn green with copper in the water.

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Adding 8 ppm of chlorine will not turn the water green but, even worse, it may cause the copper to precipitate and leave a bad stain on your pool surface.

2.8 PPM is really VERY high and I never trust pool stores, anyway. I would get your water tested at another place rather than assume 2.8 is correct.

I would say it is really important to get iron and copper retested at another location. Our total aversion to pool store testing has a lot of validity if you read through these 13 years of post!!

So, if the tests confirm the first test, I would add the sequestrant first and then add the chlorine in increments.....maybe something like 2 ppm pre-party, 2 ppm during party and then judge the water quality at the end of the party and add 2 ppm more if you think it needs it.

Pat60

Bronze Supporter
Jun 11, 2016
PA
@duraleigh , Thank you! Thank You!
I was thinking the same thing, especially after rereading my pool results from store one which said I had NO TA. ( I tested at 60).
Pool store# 2 NO copper ,and TA of 90. All other parameters matched my testing. I will believe store # 2, beside the heater, there would be no other way for copper to be in pool!