coping replacement options

zack1

Jun 26, 2012
I have a 20x40 vinyl liner pool with a white, pvc bullnose coping. I am planing to replace the liner as well as the coping. The old coping/liner track is ancient and damaged in many places. It also sags, which decreases my confidence that a new liner would stay in place for any extended period of time. I don't like the look of the white bullnose coping and I've talked to a couple pool contractors about options for doing this repair/rennovation.

One contractor would cut out and remove 2 feet of concrete around the entire pool including the old coping. He would then install a new liner track attached directly to the top of the pool wall and pour a cement cantilever coping. The would require him to drill into the side of the old pool deck, insert rebar into the drilled holes, and pour a cantilever cement coping over the new liner track.

The second contractor would remove about 9 inches of concrete around the pool, install a new liner track on top of the pool wall and cover it with a flagstone coping. He says drilling into the side of the old concrete deck doesn't usually work well and advised against pouring a cement cantilever coping.

I like the idea of the flagstone coping better than the cement cantilever coping. Mainly I am worried that the new cement will look conspicuous next to the old cement. Does anyone have any experience or input regarding these two possible options? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.