Glopez313

Jul 15, 2019
Taylor,mi
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello I have a question about the coping being shorter than my pool beam. Coping is 9 inch long x 3 inch thick and gunite beam is 12 inch long, and I’m going to pour the concrete deck. Will there be any problems there?

Welcome to TFP.

Yes there will be problems. You have an expansion joint between the coping and deck. The pool and deck need to be maintained as separate structures to move independently. You can’t lay the deck on the bond beam as it will put pressure on it and cause cracks.

Reactions: Glopez313
Coping slightly smaller than beam seams pretty typical for construction here in Texas. I have seen it personally on three different pools.

It cam be done but has to be done right. The deck needs release paper umder it to allow sliding over the bond beam with mo attachment. Then as Allen said an expansion joint and caulking. No rebar tieing anything to one another
Ok can I lay expansion joint flat covering the beam and pour concrete over the paper?

I use tyvek wrap for stucco. Regular tyvek works too. What I have done is cut strips amd then overlap coping as a protectant amd tape off at waterline. Pour deck amd use an expansion joint filler. The skinny plastic stuff with some release agent can be dug out after the pour or fiber boards etc. Cut tyvek below deck level with razor knife. Then fill with deck o seal or elastomeric concrete filler using backer rods to fill void somewhat

I use tyvek wrap for stucco. Regular tyvek works too. What I have done is cut strips amd then overlap coping as a protectant amd tape off at waterline. Pour deck amd use an expansion joint filler. The skinny plastic stuff with some release agent can be dug out after the pour or fiber boards etc. Cut tyvek below deck level with razor knife. Then fill with deck o seal or elastomeric concrete filler using backer rods to fill void somewhat
CC75F8C5-4C88-47BD-88CE-88EE3A6B7324.jpeg

Be careful with bond beam too. That step in the coping collar is a push point. Depending on how the concrete deck lays out you will want a gap there too. Same idea as the coping getting pushed the bond beam can get pushed too. Not as big an issue if your not in freeze country

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.