Cooler weather, more chlorine consumption?

Frank in FL

Jul 3, 2019
Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Weather has cooled down here in Florida. For the Last month I have been running my pump about three hours longer than what I had been earlier this year, to get more skim time due to the leaves. Right now it runs from 7am -10pm. Before I ran it from 8am-6pm. During the 10hr run time when the weather was cooler I was able to hold a 4.5 chlorine level. Now I’m holding a 3.0 Chlorine level with a 15 hour run time.
Makes no sense ?‍♂️

Really? I empty out my skimmer 3-4 times a week.
So do I bump up my output on the chlorinator or extend my run time?
The pic shows 2 skimmer dumpings

Attachments

• EC370E96-8107-4D6E-9F45-482B7FB4E89C.jpeg
    EC370E96-8107-4D6E-9F45-482B7FB4E89C.jpeg
    725.1 KB · Views: 25
Post your full test results?
Not sure why they said bump the 4.5 unless they know the CYA test results. CYA 40 and under you should be fine. FC 3 is minimum for CYA 50. Maybe they were assuming CYA higher than that?

FC 3.5
Alkalinity 75
CYA 65
PH 7.5
Hardness 450
Salt 3400

Post your full test results?
Not sure why they said bump the 4.5 unless they know the CYA test results. CYA 40 and under you should be fine. FC 3 is minimum for CYA 50. Maybe they were assuming CYA higher than that?

Frank,

If you are using the ColorQ to determine your CYA it may or may not give you a good number..

I'd cross reference with another type of CYA test.. I find that depending on the batch of tablets, the results can off by 20 ppm or more..

I'd also run an OCLT, just to make sure I did not have an unseen algae problem.. This time a year your FC demand should be going down, in most cases.

Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Frank in FL
I assumed Florida and coming out of summer not long ago you like lots of people had high CYA. Also I have a hunch your CC is more then the minimum .5 as you're not holding the chlorine...... Better be at the higher side then border line for alage protection.

Reactions: Frank in FL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Im doing a OCLT now. Just measured my chlorine and its at 3.0. Ill be measuring again tomorrow morning before the sun comes up and before the pump turns on.

What is an acceptable level for the chlorine to drop while doing the OCLT?

Ive got a feeling ive got something brewing even though the water is clear. I even bumped up my SWG from 90 to 100 from a few days ago and my chlorine level still staying the same

EDIT- Just realized this "If you lost more than 1.0 ppm of FC, then there is something in the water that needs to be removed"

If there are a small handful of leaves on the pool bottom, will that affect the test?
What about leaves in the skimmer basket?

Frank,

If you are using the ColorQ to determine your CYA it may or may not give you a good number..

I'd cross reference with another type of CYA test.. I find that depending on the batch of tablets, the results can off by 20 ppm or more..

I'd also run an OCLT, just to make sure I did not have an unseen algae problem.. This time a year your FC demand should be going down, in most cases.

Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Thanks,

Jim R.

What is an acceptable level for the chlorine to drop while doing the OCLT?

The answer to your question is in the link, which is why I posted it. You may have already seen it (below).
Good luck with your OCLT!

If your FC level remained the same, or went down by 1.0 or less, the water is clean. There isn’t any living algae or other organic contamination in the pool.
If you lost more than 1.0 ppm of FC, then there is something in the water that needs to be removed and you should SLAM, or continue SLAMing, the pool.

The answer to your question is in the link, which is why I posted it. You may have already seen it (below).
Good luck with your OCLT!

If your FC level remained the same, or went down by 1.0 or less, the water is clean. There isn’t any living algae or other organic contamination in the pool.
If you lost more than 1.0 ppm of FC, then there is something in the water that needs to be removed and you should SLAM, or continue SLAMing, the pool.

Thanks.. Yes I re read the OCLT directions. Just bummed out right now. Not sure WTH is going on. Cant wait until morning time to see what my results are

My pump turns on at night for a few hours to skim. The flow is set low so the swg does NOT kick on. Do I need to turn pump off or is it OK to circulate water during the OCLT?

What I'm trying to convey is once you start the slam you keep the swg off so any FC reading is from what you add in the pool. If you allow swg to work then you're defeating the results you are looking to get.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.