Cool temperatures in hot tub cabinet

May 26, 2013
Ottawa, On, Canada
I have a temperature probe I use to monitor my hot tub. It had two components the transmitter which lives in the cabinet and a waterproof probe that comes out and goes into the water of the tub. I've been following the temperature and the water temperature is fairly steady (39c or 102f), but the temperature where the transmitter is inside the cabinet is getting uncomfortably cold (8c or 46f). Outside air temperature right now is cool but not that cold (-2c or 28f) but there is a fairly stiff wind today. It's not even winter yet so I'm a little worried that if it gets colder out (and it most certainly will) the temperature in the cabinet could go before freezing and the lines could start to freeze.

Should I be worried? How cold is too cold for inside the cabinet? Is there anything I can do to help keep it from getting too cold?

I never measured mine ( I probably should have :) ) My temps have been down to 20 degrees below and my pipes never froze in my hot tub.. It was 2 inch boards on the outside with an open shell with minimal spray on foam for insulation... that kept the heater running more than it should but kept the underside warm...

you could try and put some hard 1.5 or 2 inch foam in the sides or maybe the outside if you could find a way to build something to cover it... They do not make anything for what you are trying to do so something outside the box is going to be the best option :)

Ya there's fiberglass insulation inside the cabinet but my guess is when the wind kicks up it just blows right through it. I was thinking of wrapping the tub with some Costco pallet wrap for the winter to hopefully cut the wind. Would that be a bad idea?

I do not think it would be bad for it and that would be clear and stop the wind.. not much insulation but it wont hurt anything :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.