converting to liquid chlorine/ how much will I use

Apr 6, 2017
houston,tx
We had a salt pool and converted it to chlorine due to constant corrosion issues. We live in Houston Tx, and as I do more research I see that the use of liquid chlorine is superior in order to avoid elevated CYA issues and everything associated with it. All this being said, we have a 16k gallon pool/spa. with Ideal CYA at 30-50ppm how much and how often should I expect to add the liquid chlorine. to keep the pool at 2-3 ppm FC in the heat of the summer?

corrosive meaning we replaced a heater, three pool pump motors, one waterfall pump motor and pool cleaner pump all within 10 years. previous pool we had was chlorine and we had it for ten years and never once replaced a single thing. Oh also both our pool lights are corroded as well. As far as maintaining perfect ph at all times , probably not always but compared to similar handling of pool chemistry in our chlorine pool it was terrible to have the salt.

The SWCG puts upward pressure on the pH in a salt pool. If this is not monitored and adjusted with MA, most salt pools will become corrosive. However, most salt pool owners dump in a lot less acid into their pools then chlorine pool owners dump bleach/chlorine in.

Do you own either the TF-100 or Taylor 2006 test kits?

You seem to have already made your decision on this, so I will advise [url]https://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html [/URL] for your initial dose. You need to use a reliable test kit which can be found here Test Kits. By putting your levels in the left column and the target in the right hand column as well as your pools information it will tell you the initial doses. After that the frequency will be based upon your pool and you're testing will let you know how much to add. Everyone's Chlorine consumption is different, so accurate, consistent testing and using the link above will serve you well.

We had a salt pool and converted it to chlorine due to constant corrosion issues. We live in Houston Tx, and as I do more research I see that the use of liquid chlorine is superior in order to avoid elevated CYA issues and everything associated with it. All this being said, we have a 16k gallon pool/spa. with Ideal CYA at 30-50ppm how much and how often should I expect to add the liquid chlorine. to keep the pool at 2-3 ppm FC in the heat of the summer?

Hello, welcome to TFP!

To answer your liquid chlorine question, most see around 2-3 ppm loss, maybe a little more in your area and depending on CYA level. on a 16k gallon pool, this is about 70oz (1/2 jug) per day. At first you will want to test and dose daily, usually in the evening. Then as you learn the pool, you can test less, but still dose daily. You can use normal, every day bleach from the grocery store. Where ever you can find it the cheapest and fresh.

Now, I'm going to point you to Pool School. Please read up on the Getting Started section. They will help answer a lot of questions you may have.

Also, your FC level will depend on your CYA level. There is a Chlorine / CYA Chart that you can use as a reference.

As for your maintenance troubles, I don't think that salt was the main culprit unless the salt waster was splashing directly on them over their life. Did the heater fail from the inside or the outside? Even a liquid chlorine pool can have a surprising amount of salt in it. Each time you dose with liquid chlorine / bleach you are adding salt. But, liquid chlorine or a SWG are much better method than solid chlorine. Proper testing and water adjustments are key to making the equipment last as long as possible.

As was stated before the corrosion wasnt likely JUST the salt.
You admitted not keeping close track of the PH.
With a liquid chlorine pool you will need to keep even closer track of chlorine. Meaning adjusting every few days at least..
Are you sure thats what you want ?

Are you sure you kept the salt level at the correct PPM ? "Under normal salt levels however, the amount of corrosion caused by pool salt is negligible."

There are dozens if hot hundreds of people here with salt pools that didnt have the same issues ..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.