Converting from single speed to two-speed pump

DIY

Aug 20, 2015
Southeastern PA
Hello TFP Experts -- my IG pool was built in 2007 with a Pentair single-speed Whisper-Flo uprated pump (1.5 HP uprated to 1.65). Wanted to wait until pump needed replacing to change to two-speed or variable. Everything is glued in and the pump housing appears to be in fine condition. So can I just replace the motor on the pump with a two-speed? If so, how do I determine compatibility? We have just a plain old pool, no extras (no spa/waterfall/etc.). I think the variable speed pump might be too many bells and whistles for our needs and I am always suspect of the durability of electronics. Also encountering availability issues and super high costs. Can you kindly provide guidance? Thanks in advance!

D,

The big thing to remember is that you can never, ever, connect power to both the low-speed input, and the high-speed input, at the same time. Unless you just want to buy another motor.. :mrgreen:

More than likely low speed will work for 95% of your needs. Did the pump come with a switch to change between the two speeds?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Two-speed motors no longer come with a switch that changes from high to low unless you find some old stock. By the time you pay for a good two-speed motor and a timer that will switch from high (needed to prime the pump) and low you will have spent at least as much, if not more, as V-Green ECM16SQU, which has a built-in control and is variable speed. It will also bolt right up to your WhisperFlow. Be sure to change the shaft seal (#1000) and body gasket.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.