Converting from baquacil and confused about the chlorine test... Please help!

Martini1981

May 22, 2020
Connecticut
We just started the process of converting to chlorine. We have a 10k gallon pool. Purchased the Taylor k2006 test kit. We tested PH and got that where we wanted and now we dumped the liquid chlorine in. We want to test to make sure we got it to 15ppm for FC. Looking at the test instructions, it looks like we will have to add 75 drops of the R-0871!!! Is that correct?? If so, how many tests are we going to be able to actually do with this test kit?

You can use a 10ml sample and multiply by 0.5. Also you can use 5ml sample and it would be one drop per ppm but its less accurate. For your conversion does not really matter at the beginning. You can also be ahead and order refill because in any scenario you will still need it.

Thanks! That is the guide we are trying to follow for the conversion. :) I also downloaded the pool math app to help me with the process. I went ahead and ordered the refill. The calculator said to add 1.5 gallons of liquid chlorine to get us to 15ppm.
I just tried the 10ml and think I am doing something wrong. The powder was kind of clumped up and the water very faintly pink. I started to add drops and the water got pinker instead of clearer and then stayed pretty pink for 40 drops. I stopped at that point assuming I did something wrong since our chlorine should be at max 15pm. I think I need to read more about the testing process to make sure I avoid user error for the next test.

Current status. I tried the 10ml chlorine test again. It turned cloudy pink after adding the scoops. After adding 30 drops of R-0871 it was no longer cloudy but was vibrant pink. It seems impossible to have chlorine that high still since we have not added any additional chlorine since we added the initial 1.5 gallons about 18 hours ago. I didn't want to waste more drops so I stopped once I got that high. Could our tests be bad?? Operator error?

Attachments

• 20200523_085043.jpg
    20200523_085043.jpg
    437.7 KB · Views: 3
Another question. Is there anything that could interfere to give zero chlorine readings? I purchase some test strips to have an alternate testing method on hand. I tested my DPD powder with tap water/chlorine mix and one drop made the water a nice vibrant pink so that makes me think it does work. I used the test strip in pool and there is no color change. Used test strip on water bleach mix and test strip works. Could a gallon of liquid chlorine be used up in less than 30min in a 9000 gallon pool? Is something interfering?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Does any have estimates on how long this stage will last? We keep adding enough chlorine to get to 15ppm but when we test in an hour there is no chlorine. We have added 19 jugs so far and the pic is where we are at.

Attachments

• 20200524_140642.jpg
    20200524_140642.jpg
    509.6 KB · Views: 9
Have you considered partial drain/refill(s)?
I'm not familiar with cartridge filters but from what i can see it appears that you do not have the ability to bypass the filter or vacuum to waste, correct?
Seems odd that the filter pressure would drop, it should increase from filtering the goo. unless your system is measuring downstream pressure and that would indicate reduced water flow. or maybe you have a tear in the cartridge that is letting the goo pass through the filter back into the pool.
sorry not more help. good luck.

From your comments are you sure you read the link I provided in Post 3? It answers how often to add chlorine, when to clean the filter, etc.

I read it but I definitely could be misunderstanding something. We have been adding chlorine every hour. The highest chlorine level we have had an hour after adding has been 2-3 ppm of FC. Our water definitely has the goo forming but we just aren't sure our filter can handle it. My husband has been brushing will most chlorine adds and we vacuumed this morning and will vacuum again tonight. He has been cleaning the filter every hour but the whole system drastically slows down within 20-30 min of him putting clean filter back in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.