Convert to Aqualink

Jan 7, 2013
Friendswood, TX
Hey everyone. I haven't even finished my pool yet but am already thinking of cool modifications I might be able to do. I have a two pump system (1 main pump and a Polaris booster). I have a 3 way valve that controls the returns to the pool or waterfall. I have no spa or heater.

What I was trying to figure out is how to convert my mechanical timers to the automated Aqualink system. I picked Aqualink because I have all Jandy equipment. My understanding though is that I could probably use anything.

I don't know enough yet to determine a complete parts list. I assume I would need the following:
1) Power Center
2) Valve Actuator
3) Aqualink RS6

I might try to add my pool light and landscape lights in there as well.

Can anyone confirm if my parts list is correct?

There are a few different options for jandys power centers. I see you already have a Aquapure Generator. You can do away with the box for that and run it off of the power center (if you want)

As far as controlling the system would you prefer a wireless remote? A panel in the house? Or automation from a Iphone/Ipad.

Pool only? How many features are you looking to run other than the pump, landscape lights and pool light?

It will be hard to run wires to a panel inside the house. If there is a wireless panel that would work (power center is located on the opposite side of the house from where I would want a control panel).
Essentially I want to control Pool, Waterfall (need to control a 3-way valve), Polaris, Pool Light, and Landscape lights.

The Pentair Easytouch system does not require an indoor controller, however, you would need to go to the pool equipment to turn things on/off + programming. You could add the screen logic, and add (remote) control to your iPhone, Andriod or desktop. Of course internet connection is required at your home for this.

Jandys' automation (AquaLink RS), also provides for control to your phone and desktop at additional cost (iAquaLink), but the automation itself has no ability to program at the equipment panel in the event you had no indoor control panel. You would need the iAqualink. Worst case, if you wanted the Jandy and didn't want to get the iAqualink, you would need to trench from the equipment to an exterior wall and punch through to mount the controller. You would be limited to and exterior wall unless you had a crawl space under the home and then come up inside an interior wall. That way would be more expensive.

Is your LED light a Jandy product? And color? Reason i ask about the light being colored is Jandy automation provides for color control that you may not get with the Easytouch.

I prefer not to mix manufacturers as sometimes it proves to be problematic with parts such as colored LED lights, variable speed pumps, and Cl generators.

Maybe someone here knows if a Jandy color LED light can be controlled by other manufacturers automation with regard to color changing, not just on and off operation.

Changing the colors on the light (as you probably know) is accomplished by turning on and off the light a set number of times. Jandy has a certain order of colors that correspond to the on/off sequence. Pentairs' is different. For example, if you were to tell your light to come on in the "Blue" color with Pentair automation, you would hear the relay click on and off say 5 times. However, your light will be on the "spring green" color because Jandys' color order is different. If you can live with that, Easytouch may be a better fit with regard to the other issue (no in house panel), which would be a bigger stumbling block in this install, by installing a Jandy AquaLink.

Good Luck.

Changing the colors on the light (as you probably know) is accomplished by turning on and off the light a set number of times. Jandy has a certain order of colors that correspond to the on/off sequence. Pentairs' is different. For example, if you were to tell your light to come on in the "Blue" color with Pentair automation, you would hear the relay click on and off say 5 times. However, your light will be on the "spring green" color because Jandys' color order is different. If you can live with that, Easytouch may be a better fit with regard to the other issue (no in house panel), which would be a bigger stumbling block in this install, by installing a Jandy AquaLink.

Good Luck.

No neds for indoor remote with aqualink. Pda kit comes with wireless remote.

If you have all jandy equipment stick with it. I would not install a pentair automation system with all jandy equipment. You can tie your salt generator into the jandy system,full function of the lights. Plus the PDA is by far my favorite remote.

I agree with going with the iAqualink 2.0. It gives you a good interface on any web enabled device such as a smartphone, tablet etc. That gives you the ability to operate the system from anywhere you have internet access.

The iAqualink can be connected to your home network via WiFi or Ethernet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I have had some time to think about it. What I really want to be able to do is actuate my 3-way valve and change between waterfall and pool returns. Is there a more simple way to actuate the one valve? I have mechanical timers on the pumps (pool and booster). I have searched Google for a simple 110vac input 24vac output timer for the one actuator I want to install but can't find one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.