Convert lbs of chlorine to ppm?

Sboyse

Feb 7, 2020
Alabama
Salt was just added to my new pool. Trying to figure out what percentage to set the system at. I'm running the pump 24/7. When the builder started it they have it set at 50% now. Salt test was 5.5 last night but when I tested this morning I stopped adding drops at 50 which would mean my chlorine is over 25? I have the tf-100 and salt test. I'm taking a sample to pool store today to verify.

PoolMath

You have it. Go to Effects of Adding Chemicals. Select SWG. Use drop down to select the one you have. Put in % and run time.

I assume you used your FAS-DPD for the FC test. You said 'salt test'.

Your SWCG at the settings you state in 12 hours would have added 2.2 FC to your pool. Check your testing procedure.

The FAS-DPD test is more accurate than any pool store, please don't take a sample there. It's only going to confuse the situation.

It might just be a testing error, they happen to all of us new and old. Retest. Make sure you are using 10ml of water, one scoop of R-0870, and then using the R-0871 to count drops. Sometimes someone accidentally uses the R-0003 and that will never turn it clear. Have faith in yourself, we trust you far more than any pool store test. Seriously.

Reactions: Sboyse and mknauss
You are correct...I meant chlorine test not salt.
Thanks for the pool math help. It says 4.4 @50% for 24 hours. To make sure...that 4.4 is ppm?

I ran the test twice this morning...which is why I grabbed a sample for the pool store. Now that I'm thinking about it I may have grabbed the sample close to one of the return jets. Could the chlorine level be that high coming out of the return?

The 4.4 is ppm.

No, the SWCG does not emit that high of FC ppm.

Some other kind of testing error.

The 4.4 is ppm.

No, the SWCG does not emit that high of FC ppm.

Some other kind of testing error.

When lining up the level in the test tube do you look the bottom of the water (the concave portion) or the top line (what is close to the sides)?

Are there any interferences with the test? High calcium, high pH, etc.? The pH was 8.2 this morning.

For the FAS-DPD test, there are no interference's from other chemistry parameters.

The miniscus (bottom) should be at the line.

Reactions: Sboyse
The FAS-DPD test is more accurate than any pool store, please don't take a sample there. It's only going to confuse the situation.

It might just be a testing error, they happen to all of us new and old. Retest. Make sure you are using 10ml of water, one scoop of R-0870, and then using the R-0871 to count drops. Sometimes someone accidentally uses the R-0003 and that will never turn it clear. Have faith in yourself, we trust you far more than any pool store test. Seriously.

Operator error!! Like you said, I did use the r-003. It was 6am so I'm going to use that as my excuse...lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your last test shows a CYA of 32 ppm. How did you test that?
With a SWCG you should have 70-80 ppm CYA.

Your last test shows a CYA of 32 ppm. How did you test that?
With a SWCG you should have 70-80 ppm CYA.

It was a guess...was a little over 30 but not quite half way between 30 and 40. When the pool builder added the salt Friday I expected they would adjust the cya. It appears they added calcium since its gone up. I'm going to get some stabilizer today and bring the cya up.

CYA is a log scale, you can't interpolate between readings. It's either 30 or 40. If you can see the dot at 30 but not 40, then "round up" to 40.

Reactions: Sboyse
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.