Convert from Perma Salt System

Jun 23, 2019
Lincoln Nebraska
We have a 15x26 above ground local pool. We have teenagers and our house is a gathering of teenagers. Last night I noticed our Perma Salt System controller wasn’t displaying anything and was plugged in next to pump and pump was working. My wife and I were reading on your sight and I think we are going to go back to using chlorine. One concern using the Perma Salt System last year was green colored hair. I will be posting more questions as we start the transition today

Welcome! :wave:

I think permasalt is part saltwater chlorine generator and part metal ionizer. If you've already got all that salt in the water, it would be a shame not to replace the unit with a plain saltwater chlorine generator. With a bunch of teenagers, splashout will reduce the amount of residual metal in the water.

While you're deciding, you should use bleach.

We're here to help.

Welcome to TFP!

While you can just start using chlorine in your water, if you have been using Permasalt for the entire time you have had your pool it might be a good idea to replace some water and try to get your copper level down first.

If you switched to Permasalt because of unpleasant experiences with chlorine pools before, I encourage you to check out the ebook Marty linked to above. TFPC pools are managed a lot differently than traditional chlorine pools and feel, clarity, and ease of managing the water is unrivaled.

Thanks- I think we are going to avoid the salt because we have been reading it will corrode the metal railings. My question is the we have had several inches of rain the past few days - would that be enough to reduce the metal?
Any rainwater dilution will reduce the metal content in the pool. A couple inches is only a couple percent of the water, so the reduction will not be very significant.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support