Conversion underway

brettch

Well-known member
May 23, 2020
48
ND
I have a13' x 25.5' Splash Super pool (10,000 gallon AGP) and have been using baqua products without much issue for the past 4 years or so. While no one has had any great aversion to it and we haven't had any water issues, we've wanted to convert to a salt system for the past couple years. Last Wednesday we took the final dip in our Baqua pool. Temps were going to drop, so it was time to start the process. I lowered the PH to 7.2 using muriatic acid ahead of time, and had stocked up with a bit of bleach but mostly gallon jugs of Splash pool shock (12.5%) from Menards. I started the process adding Pool Math's suggested amount of LC. Nothing to drastic, a gradual clouding where the water went from clear to very cloudy. At it's worst there was a bit of baqua-goo visible. For the first many days I tested the water as frequently as possible, usually about 1-2 hours between tests. Between the baqua and sun, the FC was about non-existent and I would add a gallon of the LC to boost levels again.

It didn't take more than a few days and the pool was looking very clear, but of course FC levels still need work. While the pool was looking clear and mostly clean thanks to brushings and vacuuming, I could see goo built up on the skimmer basket in the pool and on the pump. Shut everything down, disconnected hoses and worked with my wife on scrubbing everything we could to clean it up. Pulled a bottle brush through the 1.5" hoses and piping where we could. Hooked it all back up and resumed the process.

The finish line is in sight, but will likely still be a bit. Still lost about 3.5ppm FC overnight last night. My RJ-45+ comes today. Looking forward to the night the FC holds so we can move on to CYA and monitoring the CC levels, and even more so to the day I can start really balancing the levels and start up the SWCG. I have all the necessary chemicals acquired, aside from probably needing to get a little more borax for when that time comes.
 

Attachments

brettch

Well-known member
May 23, 2020
48
ND
Lost 2.5ppm of FC last night between 11:30pm and 5:30am. As I was reading through the baqua conversion guide for the 100th time last night, I had a realization that has led to a question on CYA and chlorine levels. When I reach the <= 1 FC loss point and have changed filter media, the next step is to raise CYA to 30ppm and continue to maintain the FC at 15ppm. Straight forward enough.

However, the goal is to move to a salt system, so once the CC remains <= 0.5 for a couple days and I reach the water balancing stage, I'll be pushing the CYA to 70ppm per the recommendation of the Chlorine / CYA Chart and start adding salt for the SWCG. During the conversion I'm just holding 15 FC throughout regardless of CYA, but once it hits this stage, at what level would you hold the FC?

Maintain a level based on non-SWCG if it is not yet running? If so would I target 4-6 FC based on 30 CYA that's in the pool from conversion or a target 8-10 FC based on 70 CYA. Even though the CYA will not have fully dissolved. Or do I just target the 70 CYA, 5 FC of a SWCG system and just get that running as soon as enough salt has dissolved?
 

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
19,402
Northern NJ
Maintain a level based on non-SWCG if it is not yet running? If so would I target 4-6 FC based on 30 CYA that's in the pool from conversion or a target 8-10 FC based on 70 CYA. Even though the CYA will not have fully dissolved.
Yes

Or do I just target the 70 CYA, 5 FC of a SWCG system and just get that running as soon as enough salt has dissolved?
No
 

brettch

Well-known member
May 23, 2020
48
ND
Yes, keep the 4-6 FC for the existing 30 CYA, or yes, target 8-10 FC for the eventual 70 CYA that's in a sock dissolving?
 

brettch

Well-known member
May 23, 2020
48
ND
Should I be running my pump/filter 24x7 while waiting to reach 1FC loss overnight?

I have been since beginning the process and trying to brush/vacuum at least once per day. Being new to this I'm not sure if running the pump the full time should still be done or would have any impact on results, now that I'm seeing around 2-3 FC loss overnight. Too many late nights and early mornings, so I slept through my pre-sunrise alarm today, so last nights loss is an unknown. Was 2.5 the two prior nights, and about 3.5 a couple hours after sunrise this morning.
 

brettch

Well-known member
May 23, 2020
48
ND
Do I dare run my robotic cleaner after adding CYA? The reason I ask: I added my CYA yesterday. I hung a sock with the suggested amount of Clorox Chlorine Stabilizer in front of my return before sunrise (double checking overnight FC loss before adding CYA). About 7 hours later the sock was empty and I wasn't out squeezing it every so often. From what I've read here it seems like it dissolved pretty quickly. It's been over 24 hours now so I could try the CYA test, but I've seen other suggestions here to wait up to 5 days after addition?
 

brettch

Well-known member
May 23, 2020
48
ND
Two weeks in and maybe I'm getting a bit impatient. I considered the overnight loss test complete 3 days ago after a reading of 14.5 after sunset, and 14 before sunrise. I had actually passed 2 days prior as well, but had some odd results, likely user error between 2 tests the night before, then overslept the day after.

I'm now testing CC regularly and for the most part is 0.5 or 0. I have however had some 1.0 readings over the past couple days when my solar cover has been on. It helped immensely with not losing too much CC during the first stage, but I also know the CCs could build up with a cover on. I'll be out of town for 36 hours or so this weekend, so am getting antsy to start the rest of the balancing.

I suppose however I should not assume the cover to be the only reason I have had a couple 1.0 readings in the past 2 days?

Test result here - though timestamps on that page are quite a bit off my local time.