Controlling Hayward Ecostar with Compool 3800

Jul 24, 2011
Help ! Hi all, I've been working on pools for just under a year now . I have a new client that needed a new heater installed. So I went ahead and installed a Rheem/Raypak 399k, natural gas, electronic ignition heater. No problem connecting the two wires from the Compool to the heater, one wire to spa and the other to the 24v line as shown in the manual. Now here is were I'm lost and very frustrated!!! I'm not familiar with Hayward Ecostar pumps at ALL. And I have very little knowledge of Compool. But to me compool is Pentair intellitouch , early version, for lack of a better description.
After reading the PITA Hayward Ecostar instructions, I see that I am to set it up, to be controlled by relay contacts with the compool. I'm lost ! The old pool guy installed the Ecostar and presumably wired it correctly as well as programed it. I don't see how I can get different speed with relays, aren't relays just closed or open ? After it primes, it appear to slow down to around 600 RPMs. From what I have leaned this seems to slow to run a gas heater, yes ? will the heat exchanger not scale ?Also, once I had the heater kick off on high limit, yikes! I'm just lost! Do I program the compool for cleaning cycle or the Ecostar ? Any and all advise or input would be greatly appreciated. Thank You !!! Bil

32,000 gallon pool with attached spa. Hayward Ecostar pump, huge cartridge filter, separate pump for spa jets and booster pump for cleaner , Rheem 399k heater and a blower for spa air.

The EcoStar has some available connections that allow a set of external relays to select one of several different speeds. The first step is to try and understand exactly how the system is currently setup, which relays on the Compool are wired to the pump and what speeds they are programmed for (the speeds are setup on the pump).

Ok, Thank you ! I understand ...tomorrow I'll look at how it's wired. Hopefully, I can have it run at a lower speed during filtering, then at a high speed when the heater, cleaner and spa are switched on. Does that make sense ? Any thought on how slow it could safely run with the heater operating ? And I'm still not clear about programing cleaning cycle, I presume that is done on the compool, then the speed is what I set on the ecostar timer menu, yes ?

The speeds are indeed setup on the pump timer menu, while the decisions about when to run and which speed to trigger are made by the Compool.

The only way to figure out what speed the heater requires is to experiment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.