Contracting out flatwork instead of using Pool Builder

mgcalley

Apr 12, 2022
Austin, Texas
Hello!

We are in the gunite stage of our build. So far, this entire pool build process has been pretty painful and stressful. Our PB is never around to check any of the crews work, and I have already had to catch so many mistakes, etc. I am not even sure if I am catching them all. Needless to say, I don't trust their work.

With that said, has anyone contracted out a separate contractor (not your Pool Builder) to do the flatwork/decking around the pool? We are also doing a home renovation and the builders that are working on that also do pools and flatwork and they have been amazing and trustworthy. They are also giving me a better price per sq ft. for the flatwork.

My main concern is: If anything goes wrong with the pool shell, etc. can our pool builder blame our flatwork guys? I want to avoid finger pointing and our PB trying to get out of any warranty's.

Has anyone been in this situation, or used a totally separate contractor for their flatwork/decking?
Any advice is welcome!

Pic of our pool design.

Attachments

• 8d6b4e50c67fe78ea8bec6eca5a4bd5f.jpg
    8d6b4e50c67fe78ea8bec6eca5a4bd5f.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 39
It's fairly common to have separate contractors. I've seen it with folks on here and I know others who've built a pool and had their flatwork/decking done by a different contractor for various reasons. As you've been checking work, just continue to make sure the PB and your decking contractor communicate to make sure nothing is overlooked or wrong.

Good luck with the build, nice design!

Get everyone together and get everything in writing as to what each party is responsible for. Have the pool builder and the flatwork contractors agree on where one's work ends and the others begins. Since you don't have 100% confidence in you PB's work, make sure the flatwork guys approve what has been done that their work is going on top of. If you have contract with the PB does it clearly identify what the pool work covers and cost and what the flatwork consists of and costs? Generally I don't think you should have an issue unless the PB's flatwork crew does not have another job to go to. I would say all the backfilling and compaction around the pool and plumbing should be the PB's responsibility and ready for the flatwork crew to do final grading for the flatwork.

What does your contract specify? If the contract has already been signed with the flat work around the pool going to the PB, you’re going to have cancel or modify that part of the contract. The PB may not want to give that up as decking is one of the highest priced items in the contract and he’s going to lose his cut of that profit.

That said, the PB is mostly just a general contractor/scheduler. He’s going to hire out a sub for the concrete work anyway. So you could inquire who that is and start making contact there so you can address concerns.

Reactions: kimkats
Many people have found their GC is just there to pick up checks :( It is on the home owner to do the heavy lifting on making sure there are no mistakes made. You say you are at the gunite stage of your build. We would LOVE to see pics of it. I am also going to share a set of links I put together to help new pool builds:

Plaster links:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now is also a good time to ask what test kit your PB will be providing so we can fill in any holes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.