Continue On or Start Over

Waffen06

Jun 23, 2019
Shelby, Ohio
So this is my second year with our 18x52 intex. The fenced area where we put it barely fit the pool last year and was a little unlevel. This year I extended the fence out another 25' and moved the pool over to where it seemed more level. I used a couple bags of sand to fill obvious low spots. Next I used the 3/4" foam to help with smoothing out the bottom as I hated feeling tiny sticks or roots we missed last year. All looked good till I started filling last night, this morning it is half way full and now see it has about a 3" drop from one side to the next. Is my only good option to drain it try to pull the whole pool/foam base out of the way to try to level it better? If it matters my pool does the strap around the center that the legs slide in so they cant kick out.

Last edited:
Hello and Welcome to TFP!!

Unfortunately, yes you should drain and relevel. A 3" is not within recommendations of the mfg for installing the pool. I know it's not what you want to hear, but it's the best way. You can use a level on a straight 2x4 to check where the high & low spots are. Best practice is to remove the high spots and not add to the low spots (unless low spots are only in the middle under the liner and not at the legs)
It is also recommended to put pavers under the legs to prevent them from sinking down into the soil. If you use the foam board again, then be sure tape the seams so the liner doesn't slide down through them.

Sounds like you want to stress the pool all the way around. Either way you're liable to bust the liner if you dont relevel it and trying to make it higher on one end. TFP does not reccomend building a pool up with any material to hit level. The pool must sit on solid ground. It is hard work but everyone's safety and property is of utmost concern.

Guess Ill try draining the pool tonight. I dont know how much I can dig out as Ill have to do it all manually as theres no room to get equipment in my fence. Also the ground is very rocky and filled with roots. Obviously perfectly level is best but is there an acceptable tolerance such as 1"?

We also had to hand dig thru roots and rocks to level our pool. We also had hard clay which seemed to require the use of a jackhammer (just kidding but that's what it felt like). So I understand your hesitation.
My friend's neighbor did not level out his pool. After one month the wall burst and caused a "tidal wave" in the other neighbor's yard.
Just sayin'

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.