Constant pH rise

Apr 3, 2016
Baltimore MD
I’m in Maryland so I’m closed. Pool is 5ish years old. Plaster. I use bleach as my only chlorine source. During the season I always have to add acid to combat rising pH. I thought it was bc of the new plaster but the pool isn’t so new anymore.
I just tested today, after water warmed to room temp.
pH: so purple I want to say 8.5?
TA: 80
CH: 275
Cya was 30 in September.

do you guys think this is a alkalinity buffering issue? Or do I just have to keep pressing on with dumping acid in?

Thanks!

Your CSI with that data (assuming a water temperature of 35F) is not showing an issue. Have you had scale build up in the past?

I would think adding acid without a pump to properly disperse it would be potentially damaging. But if you have done it in the past, up to you.

I have no scaling. I’m just neurotic at keeping CSI near zero. When I add acid I have a circulating pump going and I add many many dilutions with swirling. So it’s pretty evenly incorporated.
I just tend to panic when that pH is so high.

Ok so basically the idea is that if I’m in that window of -0.6 to 0.6 I’m going to be fine? But I just calculated and I’m 0.62, assuming my pH is only 8.5 (too purple to read a number).
I thought I had to be within this CSI window?

John,

There has to be a reason your pH is still going so high with a 5 year old pool.. Do you have a spillover spa or a bunch of water features that you run all the time?

Thanks,

Jim R.

John,

There has to be a reason your pH is still going so high with a 5 year old pool.. Do you have a spillover spa or a bunch of water features that you run all the time?

Thanks,

Jim R.
No spa or major water features. We do have deck jets but they are rarely used in summer and now it’s closed. When I closed the pool in early October the pH was adjusted to about 7.3 in anticipation of an increase and now it’s high in the 8s.
That’s my thought. Something is wrong with the alkalinity or something?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.