Constant high pH

cfrenia

Aug 24, 2021
Mount Laurel, NJ
We have a new gunite pool, plastered with diamondbrite 2 weeks ago. I am having to add at least 2-3 cups of muriatic acid a day to keep my pH down. What is going on?

We have a SWG, approx 22k and these are my numbers:

pH - 7.9 (currently, I have not seen it go below 7.6)
FC - 3.0
TA - 70 to 80
Calcium - 110 (I know this is too low but I have been constantly messing with the pH so haven't been able to add hardness)
CYA - 0 (same as above - bought stabilizer but haven't been able to add it because I'm always adding MA)

We do have a water feature - up until yesterday filter and spillover were running 24/7 - yesterday we turned it down to 12/hr day.

Any advice? I realize that new plaster creates high pH but I can't seem to keep it down no matter what I add. I used a whole gallon in 4 days.

What is going on?
It's curing. It can take several weeks/months for the pH to stabilize. You know that your spa spillover will increase the pH as well due to aeration, so keep that to a minimum. As for the CYA, that needs to be in there now. You must protect that FC from the sun or it will vanish in a matter of minutes leaving the pool open to algae. SWG pools should have a CYA fo about 70 minimum. As for the CH, a min 350 would be best, but I would at least get it up to 250 for now.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

It's curing. It can take several weeks/months for the pH to stabilize. You know that your spa spillover will increase the pH as well due to aeration, so keep that to a minimum. As for the CYA, that needs to be in there now. You must protect that FC from the sun or it will vanish in a matter of minutes leaving the pool open to algae. SWG pools should have a CYA fo about 70 minimum. As for the CH, a min 350 would be best, but I would at least get it up to 250 for now.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thanks so much! So a gallon every few days doesn’t sound crazy?

I will add CYA now - how long do I need to wait before adding other chems? I am assuming I need 30+ of calcium so I didn’t want to dump it all in at once

So a gallon every few days doesn’t sound crazy?
In the beginning it's not unheard of, but it should begin to stabilize soon. You can add the stabilizer (use the sock method) at anytime. It won't effect any other dosing. The only two things you want to keep separated is muriatic acid and liquid chlorine. Be sure to never add those at the exact same time and location. But only a few minutes separation is required with good water circulation.

In the beginning it's not unheard of, but it should begin to stabilize soon. You can add the stabilizer (use the sock method) at anytime. It won't effect any other dosing. The only two things you want to keep separated is muriatic acid and liquid chlorine. Be sure to never add those at the exact same time and location. But only a few minutes separation is required with good water circulation.
Ok great I am going to go to town then, lol. Thanks!

Reactions: Texas Splash

I will add CYA now - how long do I need to wait before adding other chems? I am assuming I need 30+ of calcium so I didn’t want to dump it all in at once
I'm sort of in your situation right now. Pool was re-plastered about 3 weeks ago.

Over the first 3 day's I feel like I couldn't add enough acid to keep it down while staying within the limitations of how much you can add in a given time.

Now its starting to settle and I'm adding acid every-other day.

Reactions: cfrenia

I had to add *so much* calcium to get in range, needed about 50 pounds. I did it over the course of two days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.