Constant High PH Issues

Sep 11, 2015
Humble, TX
My pool is four years old and i have had the PH issues for awhile, we have a 8' spill way from the hot tub to the pool that runs with the pool runs. I believe this contributes to my issues.
I am adding 32 oz of acid every other day to keep my PH below 7.8. Currently my TA is around 60 I try to keep it a tad lower other wise the PH rises even faster. As you can imagine, with all the acid i am have to add around 2-4 lbs of baking soda a week as well. I was told if I premix the acid and water in a bucket prior to adding to the pool it would help with lowering my TA and it has worked quite well.

I am considering trying borates to help stabilize my PH swings thoughts?

My Numbers are as follows: FC 3.5, PH 7.7, TA 60, CH 250, CYA 40

It appears you have automation. Why not set it up to only run the spa spillover a couple times a day for 30 minutes or so and the rest of the time in pool mode only?

Do not add your acid the way you are. No need. Just pour it slowly into the return stream of water with pump running. How you add it has no bearing on its effect to your TA.

Agreed, you should reduce the amount of time the spill over is running which should slow the pH rise.
How high do you keep raising the TA? Try to let it get to 50ppm and then maybe let the pH stay up around 8.0.

I was for sure Omni Logic was a more robust automation system ---- sounds very basic.

Pretty sure it’s the way my goofy builder built the pool, when the spa runs the valves close and it does not spill over, when the pool runs the valves are open and water still goes to the spa causing the spill way to run. There is no way to stop it currently.

The OmniLogic can certainly do it ... if it can't then the plumbing was not done very well.
Can you provide pictures of your plumbing so that we can see what you are working with and what your options might be.

It depends on how the spa is being with the water while in "pool mode" ... whether through a 3-way valve or a make-up line.

Pretty sure it’s the way my goofy builder built the pool, when the spa runs the valves close and it does not spill over, when the pool runs the valves are open and water still goes to the spa causing the spill way to run. There is no way to stop it currently.
That is not true. I am sure there are adjustments that can be made, either in the valving or programming.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your make up line is right under the odd thing with the wire in it. If you replace the check valve with a two way valve (just need to change the internals) and program the Spillover/Spillway in your automation, you can eliminate the constant spillover.

Check that - I think you have a pressure cleaner and the take off point is in the make up line?? That is stupid.

Check that - I think you have a pressure cleaner and the take off point is in the make up line?? That is stupid.
Yes the booster pump is on the make up line. Would it work if I coordinated the cleaner to only run when the spillway runs? I think there is always water coming thru the cleaner line just not boosted unless it’s running.

Last edited:
I think it would still be fine to change that check valve to a 2-way valve. The booster would still be getting pressure and flow when in pool mode.
Or add a shutoff valve next to the check valve.

You would just need to only run the cleaner when in pool mode, not when you went to spillover mode (which really just means the suction is 100% from the pool and the return is 100% to the spa).

No, it will be fine. That is just how the booster can get its feed water if you replace the check valve with a two way valve.

Up to you. Borates lessen pH rise. But if you are actively aerating your pool water, the pH will still rise.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.