Consistently high CYA

Jun 18, 2018
Lake Almanor, CA
Unfortunately, I don't have all of my test results on hand [my pool is in my second home in the mountains and I am in my primary home until Monday]. But my CYA has been sky high since I opened the pool a few weeks ago. A suggestion was made here to drain the pool and I kind of parked that idea while messing with my test kit. Now it looks like that's what I have to do. Bearing in my mind that I have an inground, vinyl pool, I now see that "floating my pool" is a real danger. But I think I have to drain it because I can't seem to get the CYA lower.

The pool was "closed" by some spa guys who didn't really explain what they were adding to the water. They drained half the pool and added some chemical. They told me that when I opened it, I should pump out the deep end water while adding fresh water to the shallow end. This made no sense and on this site, experts agreed. But I guess whatever they added is screwing up my tests and has contributed to my high CYA.

I thought I had logged my test results in my Pool Math app...but they aren't there. So I can't leave all my results. I will do so on Monday when I'm at the pool. Until then, trying to understand if draining is what I should do? And, more importantly, we've been swimming in the pool all along with these CYA. We're not dead...but should I keep everyone out until I figure out the CYA?

The pool water is clear by the way. Lovely, actually.

The pH is 6.0

First of all, do you have one of the recommended test kits? Don't rely on the pool store for testing. They have proven over and over that they can't be trusted. What you need is a fresh set of test results, especially your CYA number. If your pH is really 6.0, that is dangerously low. You need to get that up into the low 7's right away. Shoot for 7.2. Use either soda ash, washing soda, or borax. I'd recommend either of the first two, because it takes an awful lot of Borax to move the needle just a little bit.

It is perfectly fine to swim with too much CYA as long as the water is clear. Draining some water will depend on your CYA number. Anything 60 and above will require at least a partial drain and refill. If it's 30-50, I'd leave it alone and move on to fixing your pH issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.