Considering switching to SWG seeking advice

Jul 3, 2016
Delphos, OH
I'm considering going SWG. Not so much from a standpoint of time but rather it seems to just make things easier. I'm looking for some input. What is the annual cost of running a SWG? How long do they last?
I have also considered using a stenner pump with a chlorine storage tank and just injecting the necessary amount of chlorine. My problem is, my chlorine cost runs around $200 (or more) per year by the time you figure opening and closing. I try to keep my pool in the 5ppm range with chlorine so I use about 1/2 gallon per day starting in late may and running into early November when I close. I've considered a solar cover thinking it might slow chlorine dissipation from sunlight but that just makes more work when people want to swim.
I'm more than capable of installing a system or even setting up the stenner pump to inject chlorine. I just want to use the most cost effective method for keeping the pool clean and clear. Your advice is appreciated.

You can expect an upfront cost of around $1k. About every 5 to 7 years a cell replacement of $500. Monthly electricity cost negligible. Basically costs the same as chlorine jugs but paid at one time instead of Monthly.

As someone who just purchased a home with a SWG pool, I’m becoming a believer. To not really need tri-chlor pucks or liquid chlorine makes for a much smoother pool management experience. I’m told a SWG cell lifespan is about 3 years, but I’d just imagine that someone following TFP guidelines would get more life out of the cell, especially focusing on a well managed Ph level.
It’s also a really pleasant swimming experience, like swimming in soft water.

As someone who just purchased a home with a SWG pool, I’m becoming a believer. To not really need tri-chlor pucks or liquid chlorine makes for a much smoother pool management experience. I’m told a SWG cell lifespan is about 3 years, but I’d just imagine that someone following TFP guidelines would get more life out of the cell, especially focusing on a well managed Ph level.
It’s also a really pleasant swimming experience, like swimming in soft water.
I have been adding about 1/2 bag of pool salt to my pool for several years. The water stays soft and my kids don't end up with dry skin after swimming. I like the idea of a SWG mostly to keep from having to go out and add chlorine each evening and when on vacation I don't need to have someone come over and check on the pool. I have been using a floater with chlorine tabs for a few years when on vacation but have been thinking about something easier. The benefit to using the floater and tablets is when I get home my stabilizer is about right.

We did our new build with a SWG and I could not be happier. pH levels rise a little more than a chlorine pool, so I do add acid a little more often. I am using a sense and dispense (only for the pH) so the acid is added automatically. I do not find that cost savings to be that much, by the time you pay for the SWG, buy acid, and the bag of salt every moth or so (depending on rain amount). I do find it much easier to maintain than some of my friends chlorine pools, and the soft water is great for my kids (any my) skin and eyes.

I have been adding about 1/2 bag of pool salt to my pool for several years. The water stays soft and my kids don't end up with dry skin after swimming. I like the idea of a SWG mostly to keep from having to go out and add chlorine each evening and when on vacation I don't need to have someone come over and check on the pool. I have been using a floater with chlorine tabs for a few years when on vacation but have been thinking about something easier. The benefit to using the floater and tablets is when I get home my stabilizer is about right.
SWG while on vacation is frankly awesome. I never have to worry about the chemistry of the pool being off after a week or so. I just make sure the salt ppm is a tad on the high side before we leave (in case we get a big rain) and I make sure my acid tank is full and that's it. I do get a neighbor to add water to the pool once during the week since we lose about one inch a day to evaporation and we did not get an auto filler.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.