Considering an SWG

JonoVegas

Oct 6, 2018
Las Vegas NV
Moved from here: How big should I go?

The 3 ppm number is a median number. Your pool may be less or more. We typically say a pool will lose 2-4 ppm FC per day in swim season. So you will need to test your FC each morning (or at least several times per week) just before the SWCG starts generating for the day as that will be your lowest FC in the pool water for that day. Keep the amount you test at that time at or above your Target level based on your CYA.

Hi MK.... I am in Vegas and considering switching to SWG. Your response above sounds like there can still be daily (or near daily) chemical testing with a SWG in order to set the SWG rate (time & %). Did I understand that correctly? It's easy to understand the upside of SWG but I want to make sure I really understand the maintenance requirements if I move to a SWG. There is always some downside besides the initial cost I would guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll get to know your pool's needs for chlorine after a short period of consistent testing. I found myself testing for FC about twice a week after getting things dialed in. I keep detailed logs so I can go back to the previous year(s) settings given the season. Same goes for pH rise and MA demand

I am similar to Rancho. Last year I kept great records on what I needed to do to adjust my SWG chlorine production. By the end of the season, I was checking maybe once a week just to make sure. This season, I dialed it in according to what I had last year, and presto! My pool is perfect and we have been swimming every day.

BTW... I keep my pool CYA around 70 and the FC at about 7. I know I could do a bit less FC but since I started testing a lot less, I like to have a buffer in case something goes wrong between testing.

Reactions: Newdude
Great point. I keep my FC on the high side in the event demand increases or I just get a bit lazy.
Same. It was totally dumb luck on my part for the pre-TFP years. Using the high end of the acceptable range as your target makes weather events much less eventful. A big rain might push you further down the range, but you're still above minimum. The same with a few really hot/ sunny days. Or sunny day, rainy night.

Running 24/7 low RPM reduces the normal swing even more. I don't have to worry about what events happen while my SWG is off. It adds at a trickle, and stays around that higher part of the scale at all times

Jono, its been said many times that the biggest downfall of the SWG is lulling the owner into a sense of complacency. That weekly tests turn into bi-weekly then turn into ... 'holy cow when did i even test last?' That is where the problems happen. Test alot until you get the hang of it and know how your pool reacts. Once you get the feel for it, weekly tests will probably be plenty.

Yeah, its a little odd to help educate new TFP'ers to a need for testing often when in reality most of us have gotten to a point that we can safely test far less than what we're telling you to do, and where we know at a glance at our water if something is "off".
Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.