Considering a Variable Speed Pump

bejazzpiano

Aug 11, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Good Day!

I've been searching through the forums and am not finding a simple answer for my questions. Maybe there isn't one and I apologize right up front for my lack of education and perseverance.

Simply put, I'm considering replacing my 2.6 hp single speed motor ($400, I think the bearings are shot, 32,000 gallons, spa, ic-60 swg, de filter) that I run 7-8 hrs. in the evening (I live in the Phoenix, AZ area) with a variable speed pump. I really don't see how buying a vsp is going to save me money. If I'm running the pump 8 hrs per night during my peak season, how is spending $2000 on a vsp and having to run it the same amount of hours going to save me money? The only answers I've seen/read seem to suggest that I should be running my pump 24/7, which of course would save me money with a vsp. But, I don't run it 24/7. Why should I if everything works fine with my current system?

I appreciate any insight.

Respectfully,

Mason

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
Mason,

Running 8 hours a day will only produce about 2.5 ppm of FC per day, when running at 100%.. Do add pool store "shock" to your pool on a regular basis? If not, I'm surprised that your pool only uses 2.5 ppm per day, especially with you being in AZ. :scratch:

You do not have to run 24/7, that is just one option... I do run 24/7 as I like to generate a little chlorine all the time and I like the skimmers working all the time. I have a 3 HP IntelliFlo and run it mostly at about 1200 RPM... To run it 24/7 costs me less than $20 bucks a month.

Besides the electrical costs, my pump is so quiet when running at 1200 RPM, you have to touch the pump to make sure it is still running.. :mrgreen:

If you plan to run a VS pump at full speed most of the time, then you are correct, a VS pump is not for you.

Thanks,

Jim R.

bejazzpiano

Aug 11, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Jim,

Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate your time.

I rarely have to add shock to my pool. Only after we have a large group of guests, maybe. I check my FC once a week and it is typically between 4 and 6 ppm, which I understand is healthy, right?

I don't know how much my pump costs me to run. Eight hours a day during peak season can't be too much I would think. I figure replacing a $400 motor instead of installing a brand new $200 VS would be cheaper, wouldn't it? That's really my initial question; should I replace the entire thing or should I just replace the motor. Which is more cost effective in the long run?

I'm sure the VS is quieter. Yes, I would appreciate quiet, especially since I think the bearings are beginning to go.

Again, thank you for your help,

Mason

Mbashore

Bronze Supporter
Dec 13, 2020
Sanger, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
When I purchased my home in January the single speed pump ran six hours a day. It is the only thing on the meter. The electric bill was $90 for a month.
I replaced the pump with a Pentair Intelliflo. It runs 12 hours a day at 1400 rpm and two hours at 1800. My most recent bill was $29 with $10 of it being the meter charge.
I installed the pump myself so it will pay for itself in less than two years.
As others have said it is very quiet.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
should be available off the shelf for a couple of more years
I would be surprised if there is that much inventoried stock. The Texas Freeze wiped out a large amount of inventory.

NewPoolSF

Jun 24, 2021
SF Bay Area
My PB just installed a 3/4 hp “temporary” pump instead of the vs we had ordered because it was the only thing he coukd get so we could fill the pool. it is a small pool, 6500 gallons. I understand the small single speeds will continue to be sold, but I really want to change to vs as soon as it arrives.

bligh

Jun 24, 2020
Wall Township, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I'm saving 92% or so on my electric bill with a VSP pump .. in NJ that's a big deal. I run my pump 12 hrs a day, 6 @ 64 watts just to make chlorine and 6 @ 230 watts to filter water volume. My pool is also covered when not in use, helps a lot in keeping it clean....what ever way you decide to go .. best of luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Bperry

Gold Supporter
Aug 20, 2020
Knoxville, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60
Jim,

Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate your time.

I rarely have to add shock to my pool. Only after we have a large group of guests, maybe. I check my FC once a week and it is typically between 4 and 6 ppm, which I understand is healthy, right?

I don't know how much my pump costs me to run. Eight hours a day during peak season can't be too much I would think. I figure replacing a $400 motor instead of installing a brand new $200 VS would be cheaper, wouldn't it? That's really my initial question; should I replace the entire thing or should I just replace the motor. Which is more cost effective in the long run?

I'm sure the VS is quieter. Yes, I would appreciate quiet, especially since I think the bearings are beginning to go.

Again, thank you for your help,

Mason
I think the deal is that you don’t need to run a VSP at full speed. The whole advantage to them is you can turn the speed down to save power. With a single speed, you are locked into the full speed.

if you run the VSP only 8 hours per day at a lower speed, you would save money vs the single speed. How much you save would depend on how slow and how much electricity in your area costs.

Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread