Consensus on solar blanket during slam? (+ a preventative question)

NorthernHAM

Apr 3, 2021
Northern Ontario, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi TFP community!

Unfortunately, my pool has succumbed to algae. I suspect it was due to a heavy rainfall washing gross looking crud off my solar cover into the pool and because of my work shift I couldn't address the water level and FC right away.

Regardless, I'm currently 2 days into a slam and it is definitely starting to look better but still losing FC for sure. It wasn't super green, but there was a definite tint and cloudiness.

Now I had taken off the solar blanket to vacuum, and left it off when I started the slam. But I know there is definitely algae laden water on the blanket. Should I just lay it out on my driveway and clean it there with a bleach solution? If I do that, how would I know if I sufficiently got all the algae off?

Second option is of course to put it on the pool during the slam, but I would have to take it off whenever I vacuumed and it would also shorten the life of the blanket (and prevent CC from escape.)

Is there a better option?

Also, for my preventative question, what is the best way to go about cleaning my cover when it's on the pool (in the future)?

Thank you! :)

You can leave it on for some of the time. Like at night to retain heat. But, it is good to let the sun in to help burn off the CC that are developing while you are fighting the nasties. Plus having it on some will help kill anything that might be on the cover.

I would trash the solar cover and get a new one. You will never know if you got it algae free and I think you will end up chasing your tail with algae and SLAMS from the solar cover.

Get your pool algae free and then keep it that way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.