Connect Waterway Pump To Pentair Intelliconnect

Jul 9, 2018
IL
Hello, first want to say what a great forum this is-it has saved me many times through our pool install.

We had a pool installed semi inground in April and have found that the equipment sold to us isn't fully compatible, so was looking for some direction and opinions. Our village required us to upgrade our pump to a variable speed pump, which we did and had to pay the upgrade charge. Have come to find out that the IntelliConnect monitoring system is not compatible with other manufactured pumps, but it can be turned on and off if wired through one of the relays. Here is where my question comes in... The dealer is taking a stance that I am overreacting, but my stance is what good is it to have upgraded my pump only to have a incompatible monitoring system that virtually downgrades my variable speed pump to a single speed pump? I would like to be able to fully control my pump through the monitoring system. As a side note, I know that I can set the pump to run 24 hour cycles, which is ok, but I just feel like this is not how it should work and I should be able to take advantage of the variable speeds through the app. Am I wrong? Should I just accept it and know that I can manually set pump to variable speeds when I need it?

A second question... Through all of this, my electrician and I have found technical support for Pentair inconsistent at best, waterway won't even respond and our pool dealer keeps telling us to call the manufacturers. Additionally I have searched the internet for answers and have not found how to wire into the relay of the IntelliConnect Monitoring System. Right now, our power source wires directly into the waterway pump. If I wanted to wire into the Relay on the IntelliConnect, can someone tell me how exactly I do this? Do I have to go from power source-->relay 2--> pool pump? Or do I keep power directly to pump and should there be additional high voltage connections on pump to wire directly to IntelliConnect? Just trying to get answers for when I get my electrician back out here to connect.

Thank you for any help or opinions, they are greatly appreciated and sorry for being so wordy--just trying explain the situation.

Chris

Welcome to TFP.

I tend to agree with you. You need to live with the equipment installed for the next 10+ years. You should not be saddled with sub par equipment. It is not your problem that your builder is not aware of your local codes or how modern pool equipment operates.

With the IntelliConnect you should get an IntelliFlo pump.

To wire up your Waterway pump to the IntelliConnect you need to run electrical from the pump CB to the LINE sides of the relay and then connect the pump to the LOAD side.l

The Waterway pump will then run as a single speed pump with one schedule a day.

800px-Pentair_IntelliConnect_Relays.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, first want to say what a great forum this is-it has saved me many times through our pool install.

We had a pool installed semi inground in April and have found that the equipment sold to us isn't fully compatible, so was looking for some direction and opinions. Our village required us to upgrade our pump to a variable speed pump, which we did and had to pay the upgrade charge. Have come to find out that the IntelliConnect monitoring system is not compatible with other manufactured pumps, but it can be turned on and off if wired through one of the relays. Here is where my question comes in... The dealer is taking a stance that I am overreacting, but my stance is what good is it to have upgraded my pump only to have a incompatible monitoring system that virtually downgrades my variable speed pump to a single speed pump? I would like to be able to fully control my pump through the monitoring system. As a side note, I know that I can set the pump to run 24 hour cycles, which is ok, but I just feel like this is not how it should work and I should be able to take advantage of the variable speeds through the app. Am I wrong? Should I just accept it and know that I can manually set pump to variable speeds when I need it?

A second question... Through all of this, my electrician and I have found technical support for Pentair inconsistent at best, waterway won't even respond and our pool dealer keeps telling us to call the manufacturers. Additionally I have searched the internet for answers and have not found how to wire into the relay of the IntelliConnect Monitoring System. Right now, our power source wires directly into the waterway pump. If I wanted to wire into the Relay on the IntelliConnect, can someone tell me how exactly I do this? Do I have to go from power source-->relay 2--> pool pump? Or do I keep power directly to pump and should there be additional high voltage connections on pump to wire directly to IntelliConnect? Just trying to get answers for when I get my electrician back out here to connect.

Thank you for any help or opinions, they are greatly appreciated and sorry for being so wordy--just trying explain the situation.

Chris
Which Waterway pump? There are options.

Thank AJW22. Was thinking I was crazy with the way the dealer has been acting like I am the problem--you confirmed my feelings exactly.

1poolman1... Our pump is the Waterway Defender 1.65HP Variable Speed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.