confusing numbers

JakeP5253

Aug 29, 2019
Mississippi
Tested the water this morning and have some interesting results.
PH 8.0
FC- 3.0
CC- 0
CH- 250
TA- 70
CYA- 30
Salt- 3000
Temp- 75

when I put this in pool math it gives me a CSI of .04.....thats nice, but I want my cya higher and my ch closer to 400. When I put those values in to see how much calcium and cya I need it changes my CSI to -.32. How does getting my numbers in line with recommended levels make the CSI worse?

Last edited:
Raising those two items will increase your CSI. Check the temperature being used in each calculation.

Share your Poolmath data. Makes it easier for us to help.

Ah -- OK. Have to have the app for us to see the data.

Check all your data inputs. Be sure the Borates are 0, etc.

It may take a bit for the servers to catch up. Your Poolmath Logs are not showing up on your Membername panel yet.
I can see them now. @JakeP5253 you can also have the app calculate/log CSI for you.

Click the settings gear icon on the top right and then you can toggle this:
CDFBFD2D-8A62-41F8-A67D-704560687939.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Whenever you test, add your test data to Poolmath. Save it by touching the check mark in the upper right. That will keep a running log of your data.

Reactions: magiteck
Your pH is currently on the high end. If you play with the numbers and say your pH was 7.6, what does that do to your CSI? And then if you increase your CH like you want, but with a lower pH, what does that do?

pH and TA are very strong factors in CSI. So if you lowered pH by alot, but only raised CH a little, it can effect. Also if you raise the CYA level and do not retest TA, the carbonate alkalinity of the TA is assumed to be lower and that lowers CSI.

Reactions: magiteck
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.