Confusing CC test results with Taylor K-2006 test kit

When I run the CC test, when I add R-0003, the water turns yellow instead of pink. This is not addressed anywhere. I added the R-0871 which seems to be a waste because I stopped at 35 drops on the 10ml test with no change in color. Remained yellow. I am using a fresh sample in a clean (with pool water) tube. I have a Taylor K-2006 test kit, following the directions to a T. I am SLAMing my water to rid of algae. My results for everything else follows:

FC= 66ppm
CC= ??
Ph= 7.0
Alkalinity= 70ppm
Calcium= 250ppm
CYa= 50ppm

Last edited:
Put in the amount of turbo shock recommended by pool company. Received my test kit hours after I added the shock.

Turbo Shock (by Pool Life I am assuming) is calcium hypochlorite. It takes 7lbs of 65% cal hypo per 10,000 gallons of pool water to raise the FC from 0 to 66ppm (I don't know your pool volume so you may have added less). That is a HUGE amount of FC and not something TFP would ever recommend because it is a waste of chlorine and possibly damaging to equipment and pool liners.

It is possible at really high FC and with enough chloramines in the water that the potassium iodide solution (R-0003) could create elemental iodine (I2) instead of the triiodide anion (I3-) needed to oxidize the DPD and turn it back into pink. Elemental iodine would appear yellow in the water. Another possibility is compromised reagent - does the bottle of R-0003 appear yellow at all?

You need to let your FC come down a bit before you can really test anything with any kind of accuracy. I'm surprised you could get any of the other tests to work with that much chlorine in the water sample.

Ok,

Yea, I would just let the FC come down before you worry about that test anymore. From here, trust your own results once you're comfortable with all the test and ask questions here first if your are unsure of anything.

You are correct. I put 4 scoops of PoolLife Turbo Shock which is what brought the FC up that high. I have a 21,000 gallon inground pool with a vinyl liner. Water is good color but very cloudy. Today's test results are as follows:
FC= 10ppm
CC= 0
Ph= 7.0
Alkalinity = 70ppm
Calcium = 210ppm
CYa = 40ppm

The reason I have CC at 0 is again it turned yellow when I added the R-0003 albeit much lighter than the other day. The R-0003 regent appears clear.

485ddc972580de8a02e49876897c3ec1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Water is remaining cloudy and I don't know why. Had same problem last year when opening and finally changed out my sand which fixed the problem.
The water is cloudy because your FC is 10 when the CYA is 50. Shock level is 20 FC. You've killed a lot of algae, but not all. You need to keep the FC level up until you pass all three tests as outlined in the SLAM directions.

Also, Cal-hypo will sometimes cloud water. Another reason to use bleach.

Picture of the yellow test?

Only thing that typically turns water yellow is r0600 for the OTO test. I am thinking bad reagent. You can likely get a bottle of r0003 locally pretty cheap to try.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.