Confused :)

Mama2ella

May 19, 2020
Nashville
Hi!! My husband and I are completely overwhelmed with everything about our pool. We bought a Coleman (which I believe is made by Bestway?) 22x52 round vinyl “Walmart special”. We are in the process of getting the ground level and getting ready to put it up.

Everything I’ve read says that the pump/filter that comes with the pool is junk. I’m thinking it will just be easier to set it up with a nicer pump/filter but I’m overwhelmed by the choices. What do you suggest?

Also, can I get one that will convert the pool to a saltwater pool? I’m very worried about all the chemical steps to owning pool and saltwater seems easier???

Well you can let some of that overwhelming feeling go - you're already doing exactly the right thing by being on this forum!

I think you can rest assured that the pump that is "free with purchase" will do the job adequately but I'm sure you'll find the cartridges (assuming it's a cartridge filter) will chew away at your wallet after time. We started with the cartridges but rather quickly moved to the Intex Sand Filter. Not sure what model/flow but I do know it's way oversized for our little pool. But we also know this will not be our last pool. That said, I only 'need' to run this pump/filter for like 2-3 hours per day to keep things clean.

On the saltwater front - we switched last summer and it was the best thing we could have ever done. Chlorine is not terribly expensive here but the daily MUST add was a bit of a chore - especially if/when we went away for a day or three. However I don't know that you'd appreciate all that the SWG gives you if you hadn't first done the daily test/add. I did get to the point where I stopped the daily tests. I knew each day I'd need to add about 10-14 oz so I just added 12 each day and did a good check once a week. Worked for me but I had spent a season with the pool and knew it pretty well.

The most important thing is that you get the proper test kit (very hard for me in Canada to do but it has proved worth it's weight in gold). Make sure the first thing you do is get your CYA up and you'll find the chlorine levels are easier to keep steady.

You can always switch out the plumbing when the pool is filled and you've been enjoying it. A bowl held inside the pool over the inlet/outlet you need to disconnect or *gasp* CUT bigger is all it takes. Our little $150 (on sale) pool now has about $2,000 worth of pumping, filtering, heating and SWGing accessories butnits been the best investment we've made for our kids/family.

• Love
Reactions: Wobblerlorri
One more thing about the chemicals - it's so easy! ALL you need is the CYA (sometimes called pool water stabilizer) and liquid chlorine. That's it. If your pool goes haywire in terms of ph I think all you need is either muriatic acid or baking soda? Don't quote me on the baking soda. And I've only ever needed to add 2oz of MA in all of last season. Don't be afraid! But you'll REALLY love the salt water when you make the switch ;)

Welcome to tfp! First & foremost you don’t have to do all your upgrades at once?

1.You need a good test kit Test Kits Compared the Tf100 is the best value in my opinion
Test strips aren’t recommended & are wildly inconsistent so save your

2. You must add chlorine to your water daily to keep it sanitary we recommend liquid chlorine or a saltwater generator to accomplish this. How to Chlorinate Your Pool - Trouble Free Pool
If you keep the appropriate amount of chlorine in the water from the beginning based on the FC/CYA Levels
You’ll be golden

3. When you get your pool set up & begin filling u will need Some stabilizer(cya) Get 2 containers & liquid chlorine (keep several gallons on hand )
They can be found in the pool section @ Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes etc.
You’ll add 5ppm of liquid chlorine to the water & mix it around with brush
& add 30 ppm of cya to a sock ?, tie a knot in it & hang it in front of your return. It will dissolve.
Use PoolMath To determine your amounts it’s free!
I calculated your pool volume to be approx 11,500 gal
Add 3 ppm of liquid chlorine daily until u get your test kit So nothing funky happens.
If u need help just ask!
Check outABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

• Love
Reactions: Wobblerlorri
Well you can let some of that overwhelming feeling go - you're already doing exactly the right thing by being on this forum!

I think you can rest assured that the pump that is "free with purchase" will do the job adequately but I'm sure you'll find the cartridges (assuming it's a cartridge filter) will chew away at your wallet after time. We started with the cartridges but rather quickly moved to the Intex Sand Filter. Not sure what model/flow but I do know it's way oversized for our little pool. But we also know this will not be our last pool. That said, I only 'need' to run this pump/filter for like 2-3 hours per day to keep things clean.

On the saltwater front - we switched last summer and it was the best thing we could have ever done. Chlorine is not terribly expensive here but the daily MUST add was a bit of a chore - especially if/when we went away for a day or three. However I don't know that you'd appreciate all that the SWG gives you if you hadn't first done the daily test/add. I did get to the point where I stopped the daily tests. I knew each day I'd need to add about 10-14 oz so I just added 12 each day and did a good check once a week. Worked for me but I had spent a season with the pool and knew it pretty well.

The most important thing is that you get the proper test kit (very hard for me in Canada to do but it has proved worth it's weight in gold). Make sure the first thing you do is get your CYA up and you'll find the chlorine levels are easier to keep steady.

You can always switch out the plumbing when the pool is filled and you've been enjoying it. A bowl held inside the pool over the inlet/outlet you need to disconnect or *gasp* CUT bigger is all it takes. Our little $150 (on sale) pool now has about $2,000 worth of pumping, filtering, heating and SWGing accessories butnits been the best investment we've made for our kids/family.
thank you do much for the info!

One more thing about the chemicals - it's so easy! ALL you need is the CYA (sometimes called pool water stabilizer) and liquid chlorine. That's it. If your pool goes haywire in terms of ph I think all you need is either muriatic acid or baking soda? Don't quote me on the baking soda. And I've only ever needed to add 2oz of MA in all of last season. Don't be afraid! But you'll REALLY love the salt water when you make the switch ;)
Thanks!

Th
Welcome to tfp! First & foremost you don’t have to do all your upgrades at once?

1.You need a good test kit Test Kits Compared the Tf100 is the best value in my opinion
Test strips aren’t recommended & are wildly inconsistent so save your

2. You must add chlorine to your water daily to keep it sanitary we recommend liquid chlorine or a saltwater generator to accomplish this. How to Chlorinate Your Pool - Trouble Free Pool
If you keep the appropriate amount of chlorine in the water from the beginning based on the FC/CYA Levels
You’ll be golden

3. When you get your pool set up & begin filling u will need Some stabilizer(cya) Get 2 containers & liquid chlorine (keep several gallons on hand )
They can be found in the pool section @ Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes etc.
You’ll add 5ppm of liquid chlorine to the water & mix it around with brush
& add 30 ppm of cya to a sock ?, tie a knot in it & hang it in front of your return. It will dissolve.
Use PoolMath To determine your amounts it’s free!
I calculated your pool volume to be approx 11,500 gal
Add 3 ppm of liquid chlorine daily until u get your test kit So nothing funky happens.
If u need help just ask!
Check outABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Thank you!!

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.