Conflicting salt readings

Jan 27, 2017
Fort Worth
Pool was finished 4weeks ago. Using the pool math function I brought the ph down to 7.5, Fc up to 7, and added enough stabilizer to bring cya to 70. I went and calculated the pool math and said to add 386lbs of salt for 3600ppm. I dumped in 9 40lb bag which 360lbs and have let it run all day. I got some test strips from Leslie's until my Taylor kit gets here. I have a ic 40 that is wired direct into my dual timer so I was not able to turn it off separate from the pump. I turned the pump power off and then back on, once the SWG reset all went green and appears to be working great. I set it to the lowest level 20% and it is was reading FC 7 this morning at 7 when I tested it at 7 this evening it was still at 7. My worry is this, I tested with the strip and it shows over 5k. I did it twice with the same result.
I used 0 in the pool math because I used tap water. From the math I can't see how 360lbs of salt is reading 5k. The SWG is not flashing high salt.

I'm very new to this and now I'm m nervous. What should I do now, and how is this going to effect my pool. Do I let it run a full 24 hrs then retest.
I cant find any of the paper work for any on my equipment, so I don't know the max level of a IC40.

Dean, I am not an expert, but this is my opinion.... worry not. I heard that the readings on a SWG are not that accurate. The Taylor salt water test kit is what you should use. I have the Ic40 with a 10,000 gal pool. I added 8 bags of 40lbs of salt. My Taylor salt kits tells me I have 3400ppm of salt. So unless your tap water is high in salt content, your good to go. Test strips might not be very accurate either.

Get the K-1766 salt test kit for best test accuracy. If the IC 40 is not giving a high salt, you should be fine.

The high salt warning happens at 4,500 ppm, so you’re probably below that.

Thanks for the quick responses. My SGW doesn't give me a salt reading, I was just going by the test strips. For the gallons of the pool I was going by what the pool builder wrote down. It's had worked with the PH levels so I figured it was good to go. I didn't think it could be that far off to get that far over.
I went out and turned my SWG off and then back on and let it reset, all green lights.
Hopefully my test kit will get here soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.