Orlando, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Now that our pool is refinished, we're going to resurface the concrete deck. It has textured knockdown with a 12-year old concrete stain. The PB recommended two coats of 100% acrylic paint, and not to re-coat with concrete stain. He said that stain actually holds more dirt and mold in the texture whereas the acrylic would be cooler and easy to hose off. I am concerned though about chipping and peeling. Does anyone have recommendations for what would be a good deck coating?

Thanks,
Mike

Now that our pool is refinished, we're going to resurface the concrete deck. It has textured knockdown with a 12-year old concrete stain. The PB recommended two coats of 100% acrylic paint, and not to re-coat with concrete stain. He said that stain actually holds more dirt and mold in the texture whereas the acrylic would be cooler and easy to hose off. I am concerned though about chipping and peeling. Does anyone have recommendations for what would be a good deck coating?

Thanks,
Mike

I'm having that discussion right now with my wife. Our deck is painted with white deck paint (unknown if it's acrylic) but it's peeling bad. Between Florida thunderstorms and the dog running around, I'm always finding paint chips in the pool.

I am concidering tiling or doing the stain option, I'm leaning towards stripping the paint and going stained concrete. I do like that look a lot.

I'm having that discussion right now with my wife. Our deck is painted with white deck paint (unknown if it's acrylic) but it's peeling bad. Between Florida thunderstorms and the dog running around, I'm always finding paint chips in the pool.

I am concidering tiling or doing the stain option, I'm leaning towards stripping the paint and going stained concrete. I do like that look a lot.
From what I've seen on youtube, the stains is very thin and retains most of the roughness of the surface. I think it holds up to traffic better, but holds more dirt. The acrylic will form a layer which will not hold dirt, but if the prep/bond isn't perfect, it will peel. I also have the plastic micro drains which have the old concrete stain which is peeling. Not sure how that will work. This guy seems to do good work and has posted lots of videos on youtube:

I feel like unless you have good concrete to start with, applying these paint/stain products might not be the way to go. Issue is, if your concrete is old, and cracking/chipping, a thin layer of stain or paint isn't going to stop that from happening...and as the years go by, you will end up with concrete and paint chips.

I am looking into rubber tiles and also researching poured rubber that goes over your cement deck. Seems like a much more robust coating that will not chip up, especially the tiles since they simply lay over the concrete. Of course, the rubber is probably much more expensive than a coating of stain or paint.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.