Concrete Pool Coping Questions

CTaylor1911

Silver Supporter
Oct 21, 2018
las Vegas NV
Hi All! I have a couple questions regarding concrete pool coping. I'm a total newbie, sorry if they are dumb questions. I noticed two things that I wanted to run by everyone. The coping was poured and its solid. Is this correct? All the pools I have seen with concrete coping have lines, which I thought were expansion joints? I'm very confused.
I also noticed a white line (i guess from the forms) under the concrete dividing the waterline tile. Is this temporary and be removed later? I sure hope so.... Any help is greatly appreciated.

IMG_2648.jpgIMG_2647.jpg

Not sure how true this is, but the way it was explained to me is if the decking and coping is one continuous pour (no expansion joint between coping and decking) it allows the for the slab to expand/contract without pushing against the top of the waterline tile thus reducing the risk of popping off tiles. When my coping was done, the contractor didn't use them, he installed the tile and then floated the top of the bond beam and installed thick plastic over it prior to pouring the coping.

Not sure how true this is, but the way it was explained to me is if the decking and coping is one continuous pour (no expansion joint between coping and decking) it allows the for the slab to expand/contract without pushing against the top of the waterline tile thus reducing the risk of popping off tiles. When my coping was done, the contractor didn't use them, he installed the tile and then floated the top of the bond beam and installed thick plastic over it prior to pouring the coping.

The gunite pool shell and the deck need to be independant structures. They will move independently and if tied together something will crack.

Your comtractor did the right thing in floating the deck over the bond beam so they can move independently.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
BUT Allen!!!!! It is not "pretty" :( How do they make it "pretty"? That white just shouts out there!

In a year or two that will no longer be white and blend in just fine.

No one except for you will notice the white edge when splashing around in the pool.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.